Author Topic: Error in Ford Wiring Documentation  (Read 702 times)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Error in Ford Wiring Documentation
« on: March 09, 2021, 09:58:29 PM »
Not surprising, eh?  A customer from Australia sent in a 70 underdash with a convenience harness.  The convenience harness is a rare bird: this is only my second one.  This particular harness had a connector missing on one end, a black wire joining up with a black/white wire in a male bullet.  I was able to determine that the black/white wire was wire 171 and all of the schematics (Osborne Electrical Assembly Manual, Vacuum and Wiring Diagrams (the 11x17 technician sheets) and the Wiring Manuals all show 171 as white.  The pigtail is 175, ending in a female bullet and is for the top control.  All these documents have 175 listed as red. 
Huh.  Either I misidentified the wires or the colors are wrong.  So...I have a master listing of all wire numbers and their colors from 1971/2/3, and 171 is black/white and 175 is black/yellow.  I looked closely for a yellow trace, but couldn't find it.  Nevertheless, the 171 wire was identified correctly for its function (seat back release) and its color.
BadaBingBadaBong.  Add another error in Ford's documentation.  You can't trust everything you read unless it is on-line!
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline alanmac

Re: Error in Ford Wiring Documentation
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 04:00:46 PM »
This is disturbing, I thought all Ford documentation was correct. My bubble has burst! :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 09:11:46 PM by alanmac »
1970 Mustang Mach 1
351W Shaker Hood
Built at Metuchen
1 of 186 with these paint/trim codes
Build Date: October 7, 1969
0T1190xx
Dealer: Maguires Garage Inc. Duncannon PA

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 04:05:38 PM »
oh no, think again there grasshopper. lots of errors have been pointed out in the assembly manuals and shop books over the years.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 04:11:19 PM »
This is disturbing, I thought all Ford documentation was correct.
On many of the pages of the Mustang Assembly Manuals, in the lower left corner, you will find updates to that page. We already know that the latest revision documents were not included in the Osborn Manuals (I got that info from the late Jim Osborn himself), and we know that changes were made on the assembly lines to accommodate "faults" (that's Jeff's goal in Mustang life) - include substitutions, out of stock replacements, and assembly line engineering changes - and inattentive assembly line workers.
Remember, Ford was not making concourse grade cars.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.