Author Topic: Early 65 Dearborn inside the trunk pictures  (Read 7083 times)

Offline jtfx6552

Re: Early 65 Dearborn inside the trunk pictures
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 10:20:10 PM »
I've been working on this car for 10+ years, so I have forgotten a lot on the way. I was looking at the few pictures I had, and wondering why I took so few. Then I remembered...I had taken video footage while I was taking it apart.

I found the videos today, and loaded them into the computer.  The main focus of the video footage, in retrospect was all wrong. I mostly was narrating what went where, and what order I should, put it back together. i wasn't really documenting the sound deadener, seam sealer, and colors. By accident I did  catch some of the details.

Here is the inside the trunk by the wheel house. This car appears to have no deadener on the outside of the wear house, at least not in the trunk.

I was documenting where the wiring went, and panned back towards the taillight panel for this shot on the DS:

Kind of an odd skip there in the deadener, not sure what that is about...

Based on what I was seeing here, noting the gap between the wheel house and the deadener,  it looked like it may have been sprayed before the 1/4 was installed, a la the weld and sealant manual.

On the PS, note the clean line at the rear, not like the drivers side that had some back near the 1/4 extension bolt holes:

I then had some shots documenting the wiring at the courtesy lights. This showed, at leas on the PS side, a lot of deadener on the wheelhouse:

The drivers side didn't have any on the wheelhouse:

Note the goop at the bumper brackets, this car did not have the "raised bead" on the trunk floor around the brackets...

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline rodster

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 04:16:48 PM »

Just noticed this picture of a 66 Dearborn car  posted by Charles has the same type of paint runs.

Have a Feb '66 Dearborn car for reference, Unrestored, it has the long ones:

1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline rodster

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »
If its in the paint (my guess also) then I would guess that we are looking at the body being tilted after the body was sprayed, as it moved from station to station (or to or in the ovens)

Those runs, when present, are typically coming from the bottom up... which means the car was turned up somehow during part of the priming process.

Could it be the wheelhouses were primed before being installed?  I noticed in the 1959 GM assembly line photos, 1/2 of the wheelhouse was primed before welding together.  Could be a clue?
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
Could it be the wheelhouses were primed before being installed?................

Possible but don't think that was the case - especially with the runs (we don't see runs in any of the other panels that were primered before). Guess we need to sand or cut through a few of these we see if the runs are primer or pain ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »

Seemed like a plausible explanation based on the pictures of the 59 GM wheelhouses, especially the ones showing primer slopped everywhere.  ;)

Of course that's a GM line in 1959 so no way can you draw a conclusion from that.

I cut through the paint runs on my 65 and they were primer.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 05:49:42 AM »
I'm trying to find the correct alignment and positioning for the housewheel middle lip (joint between outer and inner housewheel) and trunk floor. It seems to be a little bit higher (1/4") and floor trunk 90? angle down on center housewheel lip but aligned on the inner house wheel side joint.
Not easy to explain but if you have some photo's showing trunk floor 90? down and housewheel center line joint alignment and offset from one to other I will appreciate.
Thanks in advance
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior