Author Topic: NJ Under Hood Oddities  (Read 788 times)

Offline K-HESS

NJ Under Hood Oddities
« on: April 28, 2021, 04:02:20 PM »
So I have an R-code that was built in Metuchen in October. It has a few out of place items under the hood. Being an R-code it would come with the shaker scoop as standard equipment but this car also came with the hood scoop power lead wiring harness which ran out to the front turn signals. The hood scoop power lead harness is a separate harness from the main harness. It was never plugged in and the plug ends were taped to the main harness. Also it has two service stickers. One on the driver side tower which is normal but it also has one on the passengers side cowl. You can clearly see that the sticker was applied high enough that it was actually attached to the bottom of the rubber cowl seal. Just wondering if anyone else has seen any of these before? It is an original unrestored roller with 35K on the odometer. The drivetrain was removed in 1974 and the car sat outside in the weather from 1975-2003.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:30:55 PM by J_Speegle »
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline RoyceP

Re: Under Hood Oddities
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »
These cars were built by humans. Some times they had a good day. Other times not so much.

I think both details are interesting but I would make them disappear if I were restoring the car.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: NJ Under Hood Oddities
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »
No haven't seen or heard of it. And as it appears that these were mistakes it's good that we haven't seen them before :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: NJ Under Hood Oddities
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 01:06:19 AM »
It's up to you to decide to restore the car how it left the line or how the plant's assembly manuals specified
I had a San Jose 69 mach 1 with one screw eyeballed at the center securing each kick panel with the moulded holes provided unused so there were no holes in the metal behind them
I chose to leave it that way because that's the way it was built
Line worker couldn't be bothered to reach all the way up under there and I expect other cars either side of my vin to have their kick panels installed the same way
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20