Author Topic: What was CLEAR Zinc plated?  (Read 749 times)

Offline hertz350

What was CLEAR Zinc plated?
« on: January 04, 2021, 11:08:32 PM »
I have a San Jose March 66 built fastback. I am gathering up parts to take to the plater to have done in CLEAR zinc. Looking to help identifying parts to be clear zinc plated. To my memory here are a few:

Radiator cap
Radiator hose wire straps
Heater and bypass hose clamps
Bolts for stabilizer end stops
Jack handle, spare wheel hold down bolt and wing nut
Radio mounting bracket
Real tail light housings
Trunk catch, not latch
Door internal parts
Flasher mounting bracket
Ash tray body and slide
Caliper bodies (outside half on some cars)

Any other parts?

Thank you!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: What was CLEAR Zinc plated?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 11:26:21 PM »
I have a San Jose March 66 built fastback. I am gathering up parts to take to the plater to have done in CLEAR zinc. Looking to help identifying parts to be clear zinc plated. To my memory here are a few:

Radiator cap
Heater and bypass hose clamps
Bolts for stabilizer end stops
Jack handle, spare wheel hold down bolt and wing nut
Radio mounting bracket
Real tail light housings
Trunk catch, not latch
Door internal parts
Flasher mounting bracket
Ash tray body and slide
Caliper bodies (outside half on some cars)

Any other parts?

Thank you!
Bypass hose clamps are painted with the engine block so you will not see the plating regardless. By 66 regular production typically all Mustang disc brake calipers had the outside half painted silver or plated . 65 models sometimes did and sometimes not depending on wheel selection.  Ether coating is acceptable if done to factory standards. If by  (outside half on some cars)you meant both halves were coated then the calipers did not have both halfs coated. I am not sure where you got that impression if that is what you meant.I know Stainless Steel Brake Co (now SSBC) used to and maybe still do that on their rebuilds.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline hertz350

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 11:34:55 PM »
Thanks Bob. Regarding the calipers,yes I meant just the outside half may have been plated. Can you describe for us how the outside (wheel mount) side was painted (spray on, brush on) and what a modern matching color is? Thank you.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 12:03:47 AM »
Many of these items were cad plated or zinc barrel plated, in other words - not shiny. In the 60s, plating standards were not as rigid as today. What the car manufacturers wanted was rust protection, not a reflective surface.
Radiator cap
Jack handle
Radio mounting bracket
Real tail light housings
Trunk catch, not latch
Door internal parts
Flasher mounting bracket
Ash tray body and slide
Dull zinc became available as an inexpensive process about 5 years ago.
If you bead blast prior to dull zinc plating (and don't touch the items), you will get good results replicating the zinc process of the 60s. I've had to replate a few items in dull zinc that were too bright.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline hertz350

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 12:19:56 AM »
Great suggestions on blasting and not touching the parts after plating. Thank you.

One more part I just remembered: Interior courtesy light brackets mounted on the underside of the dash.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 12:30:17 AM »
Thanks Bob. Regarding the calipers,yes I meant just the outside half may have been plated. Can you describe for us how the outside (wheel mount) side was painted (spray on, brush on) and what a modern matching color is? Thank you.
I know some were at least brushed on from brush stroke evidence I have found. I think spraying will yield similar results with no one being the wiser once installed. Aluma blast from Eastwood is my choice .Others may have different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline hertz350

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 12:36:25 AM »
Thank you. I jut happen to have a can of Aluma Blast by Eastwood.