Author Topic: Red sealant on starter solenoid?  (Read 805 times)

Offline hertz350

Red sealant on starter solenoid?
« on: December 26, 2020, 11:02:34 PM »
As I read the MCA judging rules, the Autolite or Fomoco starter solenoid is to have red sealant on the top? What is the best way to reproduce the red sealant? Pictures would be helpful. Thank you.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Red sealant on starter solenoid?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 12:07:26 AM »
As I read the MCA judging rules, the Autolite or Fomoco starter solenoid is to have red sealant on the top? What is the best way to reproduce the red sealant? Pictures would be helpful. Thank you.
It is called glyptal paint .I have also seen it sold as red insulating varnish. It is a insulating and sealing product. it can be purchased in relative small quantities. It was used to seal the solenoid from the elements when the rivet was installed. It squeeze out around the side of the rivet head .Sometimes it covers the top too. The amount varied from very little hardly seen to a lot . Less is best in this situation IMO. It just has to be enough to be seen .  I would use a tooth pick and dab a little around the edge of the rivet head to mimic it squeezing out from the underside of the rivet head as it was installed.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 01:16:41 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline hertz350

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 12:13:58 AM »
And another question. For a March 66 San Jose built fastback 289, would the solenoid have Fomco in script letters or block letters? Would the Autolite solenoid also be correct?

Offline hertz350

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 12:15:02 AM »
Thank you, Bob. Happy Holidays!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 06:28:06 PM »
And another question. For a March 66 San Jose built fastback 289, would the solenoid have Fomco in script letters or block letters?

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16575.msg103683#msg103683

Looking at unrestored 66 SJ cars built around that time period they have the block FoMoCo stamp/design

Would the Autolite solenoid also be correct?

Too early in the production year for the C6 and Autolite. Lucky since those are more difficult to find

Have not seen a plastic bottomed C4AF-11450-A Autolite solenoid used on a San Jose car if that is the one your asking about

Too early
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline hertz350

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 09:16:23 PM »
Yes. I have the Autolite with black plastic bottom. That came off the car but I have no idea if it was original to the car. (Built March 1966) I see that ACP is making the reproduction Fomoco with either script Fomoco or block Fomoco insignia. How close are these to assembly line ones? I see they are licensed by Ford.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 10:52:56 PM »
Yes. I have the Autolite with black plastic bottom. That came off the car but I have no idea if it was original to the car. (Built March 1966) I see that ACP is making the reproduction Fomoco with either script Fomoco or block Fomoco insignia. How close are these to assembly line ones? I see they are licensed by Ford.

Licensed by Ford as far as I'm aware has nothing to do with how close the reproduction is to an original. Believe it is more about Ford and shareholders getting their cut.

Haven't compared one lately  and not sure I've seen one from hat maker. Know that on ones in the past IMHO visible sealant needed to be added around each connection base.

Operationally I don't know about the current batch  but allot of reports of reproductions in general problems including sticking in the charged position
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)