Author Topic: 1970 Decor Group Question  (Read 1152 times)

Offline scjbob

1970 Decor Group Question
« on: December 26, 2020, 12:25:18 PM »
I've seen two different answers to this question and am not sure which way to go.  I've been told that the 1970 Decor group included a chrome rocker trim piece that was a duplicate of the 1967 trim piece like the one attached here.  Yet when I review the Decor Group listings it is not clear that this is the case.  I've seen this listed as a part for the 67 and the 70.  My 70 SCJ is a Sport roof...non-Mach with the decor group.  On page 183 of The Mustang Recognition Guide (Dobbs, Farr et al), it shows an orange Grabber 302 with the 3" chrome rocker panel trim.  So it looks like Ford used the 67-68 pieces as an option on some 70 Mustangs.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 12:44:17 PM by scjbob »
1970 SCJ Sportsroof dark ivy metallic, ram air, sport slats, rear wing, decor option, 4:30 locker, 4-spd, fold down rear seat, black clarion knit buckets in Dark Ivy Green Metallic.  It was assembled on January 31, 1970 at Dearborn.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Decor Group Question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 06:42:03 PM »
Just a couple of notes. First the rocker panel trim was not chromed. Sure a number of members should be able to help, will check my reference, in the days to come but would not take a single example from a picture in any magazine or book that was not dedicated to the discussion of the detail as proof.

You might consider including in your signature when and where your car was assembled. ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:42:39 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 07:03:42 PM »
Interesting so far and with a twist. Appears that the rocker molding application may differ based on body style. What I found so far on a couple of cars that I have documentation for

Car #1  Got lucky in my search in that I had a set of pictures and a matching Marti report for the car to confirm option. Though the car has been modified with the last paint job (side stripe and individual MUSTANG letters added) it does have the rocker molding.

Car was originally sold in SoCal - the reason it has a dealer installed vinyl top installed

Car #2 This car I have the original invoice for and it does not state the car was order with the Decor Exterior Group. Does/did have the Decor interior though that is not listed on the invoice either. It was my wife's car for a number of years - purchased from original owner.  This original special paint (and a couple of other special requests) convertible was a great car - one of a few I would have liked to have kept

So did both cars have the Decor Exterior package or not. I owned it before Marti reports so never got one for it
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 07:20:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 07:41:40 PM »
Looking at even more (just sticking with 70 Dearborn for the moment since you didn't state what production period or plant in your post.

What we may find is that it depended on when the car was built - running change where they started out including it with the package then dropped it to make more money on each car ordered the package

Additional examples I don't have documentation on :( to confirm the option or not

Well played with car

Another ???  Decor car according the the Marti report but no holes or retainers for the rocker molding

Another Dearborn car

Another example with Decor Group on the Marti and no rocker molding on the car. The car being "restored" may explain what we see today

Another example with Decor Group on the Marti and no rocker molding on the car.

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 09:09:32 PM »
I only have the 70 Illustrated facts book, which has a number of errors. Not the best source.
Supposedly the Decor Group also includes fender lip molding.

I can't say I've ever seen a Boss with the lower Rocker Panel Molding. The option list in the Illustrated Facts Book says "Std, with Decor Group, N.A. on Grande, Mach I or Boss 302)."

Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline scjbob

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 08:41:02 PM »
Jeff, thank you for the pictures.  I did find that the rocker panel trim was part of the Decor Group and it appears that your pictures match the trim piece that I have on hand. 
1970 SCJ Sportsroof dark ivy metallic, ram air, sport slats, rear wing, decor option, 4:30 locker, 4-spd, fold down rear seat, black clarion knit buckets in Dark Ivy Green Metallic.  It was assembled on January 31, 1970 at Dearborn.

Offline scjbob

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 08:43:07 PM »
Just a couple of notes. First the rocker panel trim was not chromed. Sure a number of members should be able to help, will check my reference, in the days to come but would not take a single example from a picture in any magazine or book that was not dedicated to the discussion of the detail as proof.

You might consider including in your signature when and where your car was assembled. ;)

Will do.  It was assembled in Dearborn on January 31, 1970.