Author Topic: Emberglow/Parchment Reproduction Upholstery  (Read 1240 times)

Offline mmus65tang

Emberglow/Parchment Reproduction Upholstery
« on: December 14, 2020, 08:01:51 PM »
I am currently restoring my 1966 Mustang Fastback Hipo, built in Dearborn, with a build date of August 12, 1966, Trim:64. I just recently ordered the Emberglow/Parchment, TMI reproduction seat upholstery from NPD. When I received it, everything looked great but then I noticed that the insert on the bucket seats where the running ponies are embossed is a different color from my original bucket seats. My original bucket seats have a chocolate brown colored section where the ponies are embossed and the TMI reproductions are the emberglow color like the rest of the seat. I called NPD Michigan and talked to a representative about this issue. He was not knowledgeable of this issue but gave me the TMI phone number to discuss. The TMI representative informed me that if I wanted the correct factory chocolate brown pony insert that it could be done. It would be a custom order that would cost extra and take up to 12 weeks to process. I am a little surprised that NPD did not have a foot note with the TMI emberglow/parchment (UD-6-63-V) that indicated that what they offered was not completely original as factory. Has anyone else on the forum delt with this issue and ordered the correct custom emberglow color with chocolate brown pony inserts from TMI? I assume in concourse judging the TMI emberglow/parchment with the wrong pony insert color would score point deductions?

Offline Tiggie

Re: Emberglow/Parchment Reproduction Upholstery
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 11:11:57 PM »
I’ve seen UV light do some strange things to vinyl including making it much darker. I’d try to peek on the underside of the original seat cover to verify the chocolate started life as chocolate.

I tried many different swatches from TMI for my own 68 parchment and not one was close. SMS Auto Fabrics was right on the money. Not sure they can do much for a embossed pony insert though.  If it turns out your ponies are really brown and they are in good condition, an upholstery shop may be able to move them to your new seat covers.
1968 8F01C191017, Built May 8, 1968
1994 GT, April 1994 Build

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 09:02:00 AM »
This is an age old issue with the repro Pony upholstery.  Most customers either don't notice or don't care and just use it as received.  I believe that all of the two tone Pony interiors had a contrasting (darker) embossed Pony on the seat back.  I know that my Ivy Gold / White Pony interior did.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Murf

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 12:34:36 PM »
You can probably solve your problem by purchasing NOS material from SMS  and Yes, ALL of the material since normally the parchment, the brown on the seats and the darker insert for the Pony panel will all be incorrect on the TM"I product.  The brown will lack the iridescent cast that Ford used on seat material.  You will also need enough extra material to cover the piping for the seams.  This project will not be easy, inexpensive, nor quick.  TMI has done this for a few of us over the years and the results have been very nice as well as having the correct color and sheen.  Just depends how dedicated that you are and if you have the extra cash required.  Good luck in your quest - the results you want are possible if you are determined. 
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 01:53:05 PM »
I think these pictures are from John, but you can clearly see the difference between the standard repro product and the results of going to the extra effort that he described.

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline mmus65tang

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 10:57:14 PM »
What is SMS full business name for a google search? Since you have gone through this process could you give a rough estimate of how much NOS correct material would cost to do a 66 fastback?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 09:13:59 AM »
5F09C331248

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 10:03:51 AM »
I try not to look at old receipts  :o

John may remember what it cost us but I don't.  I do seem to recall that we had to buy quite a bit of extra material due to the piping.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Murf

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 10:59:02 AM »
Like Jim, I do not keep old records.  The material was expensive, but I considered it a bargain since it matched the original.  The cost of labor to manufacture the seat upholstery was equal to purchasing a new set, which again seemed a bargain and was glad to be able to get it done.  As you can see from the images Jim provided the TMI material looked NOTHING like the Ford  originals.  So the breakdown of cost went something like this:  X dollars for the set I ordered from TMI which I eventually gave away to someone, the cost to install the shitty looking covers and discover how drab they looked, then the cost of the correct material, which was considerable but cannot remember the amount, (and a lot more of the material then I had at first estimated since new piping had to be recovered to match the covers)  , the cost of shipping the new, correct material from SMS to TMI, than the cost to have them constructed from the new material at TMI plus the shipping to Jim and myself, plus the cost to install the new correct covers on our seat frames.  Not to mention that it took weeks to put this plan in action.  I helped another person do the same operation at a later date as well and it took several weeks again the second time.  If it will be of any help the person we talked to at TMI was named  Mr. Scritchfeild if memory serves. He may no longer work there but it will be a place to start. I strongly feel that you should pursue this path if you want to have your interior to look as it should.  I might add that you should keep your original windlace since the replacement is made in that same "blah" green as the covers and looks very second rate when installed with the correct color  original seat material. Use your original "pony panels" to send to SMS to color match your new material - they will have no idea about that color unless you provide a sample as I doubt they would still have a copy of the original invoice to guide them.  Just look at the picture Jim provided and let that be your guide in making the decision to do it correctly.  By the way I talked to the folks at TMI when this all took place and asked about the lack of the correct colors and sheen - their reply was that they had mountains of material in the shitty colors and would certainly use all of that up before even attempting to purchase something more correct.  Hope this will be of some help to your quest.
John Murphy

1965 "K" GT fastback Honey Gold exterior, Ivy Green and White Pony interior, many options
1966 Conv., high option, removeable hardtop, thermactor "C" engine, AC, Springtime Yellow exterior, Black Pony interior
1968 California Special, "J" code, ,many options, white with red interior

Offline mmus65tang

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »
Thanks John. You definitely know the process and the work and dedication it takes to pull it off.  You have given me the information I need if I decide to go down this path. You mention material for piping. What is piping?  Thanks

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 02:27:40 PM »
Google "car seat piping" and you will soon be an expert.  We all remember with clarity the details that were painful and/or expensive on our restoration projects.  John lead the charge on this and I tagged along so he endured more pain than I did.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline mmus65tang

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »
Ok, I now know what piping is, thanks. TMI is sending me samples of their NOS material for my 1966 fastback Trim 64 (emberglow-parchment). My next question is are the pony door panels TMI makes in parchment also incorrect as far as factory concourse goes (color that is). Did you guys buy NOS parchment material and have TMI make you custom pony door panels in the factory correct parchment.  Thanks

Offline mmus65tang

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 02:31:08 PM »
Got my samples back from SMS. The cost of the original material is $79/yard. The representative said it would take 8 yards to do a 1966 fastback. SMS can make the correct chocolate brown embossed running ponies for the bucket seats, the cost is $49 each. I asked about the pony door panels and they told me they can make them with the correct factory parchment color. Thought I would pass this along for others that may be considering using correct factory materials.