Author Topic: 70 Dearborn Firewall Holes  (Read 1413 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

70 Dearborn Firewall Holes
« on: December 07, 2020, 10:54:28 PM »
Can someone advise what the large hole is for in the firewall above the wiring harness opening, I assume the small one above the throttle cable square port is for the manual choke cable.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 09:17:46 PM by J_Speegle »
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Firewall Holes
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 12:28:15 AM »
The hole was not used for electrical or other things passing through on all 70 Mustangs. In the next example (an AC equipped car) it was used to pass vacuum lines through the firewall.

On these two examples (equipped each with a manual choke and no AC) the hole is not used and instead has a flat plug inserted

This picture was posted in the unrestored picture thread area of the site under  70 Dearborn CJ Convertible.......  Picture EC-5

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 12:50:04 AM »
Yes thanks perfect, I was pretty sure it was not used, but when disassembling my car I found someone previous to my 30 plus years of owning the car, had popped out the hole plug and put the choke cable through it, so I was not sure what actually went through it if anything on my car.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 02:45:51 PM »
Yes thanks perfect, I was pretty sure it was not used, but when disassembling my car I found someone previous to my 30 plus years of owning the car, had popped out the hole plug and put the choke cable through it, so I was not sure what actually went through it if anything on my car.

Based on other similar cars I would route the choke through the hole (smaller one to the drivers side) and put a plug back in the whole we're discussing.  The pictures should provide you with the confidence in your choice
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 03:09:58 PM »
Yes thanks Jeff, your pictures especially the last two provide a good detail of the installation detail I was looking for. I have the small choke cable grommet installed now, ready for the choke cable and will put the right plastic plug in the larger hole as shown in your pics, thanks again.

Offline Mike_B_SVT

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 02:22:30 PM »
I did a bunch of research on this a while back when I was trying to figure out what kind of grommet to use on my choke cable.  My car only has the large hole cut, so the small cone-shaped antenna grommet won't work on my choke cable.  I ended up using a large body grommet with a hole in the middle.

What I figured out was that they would cut additional holes in the firewall depending on how many were needed for various electrical and AC pass throughs.  My car only needed one hole for the choke cable, so that's all I have.  Your car must have some option that required an additional pass through for power leads or AC lines.
Mine wasn't the only example I saw with the choke cable through the large hole.  Quite few guys on the Boss forum had the same thing, and there were also quite a few with choke cables through the small hole.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 02:24:35 PM by Mike_B_SVT »
Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!