Author Topic: Automatic Transmission Driveshaft Seal  (Read 670 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Automatic Transmission Driveshaft Seal
« on: December 27, 2020, 07:51:45 PM »
The C6 rear seal on my car was replaced many years ago with a newer flat face type seal with no rubber extention, during restoration of the tranny my research showed the rear seal to be the extended type and is what I installed as you can see in the picture. My question is, do the original type seals actually come that close to the face of the slip yoke, as I am a little concerned about contact with the radius on the slip yoke possibly damaging the seals rubber extension fitment to the yoke outer diameter.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline OldGuy

Re: Automatic Transmission Driveshaft Seal
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »
In your photo, do you have the car on a lift with the rear end "dangling" free? If so, "things" should stretch out when the car is setting on the ground with the suspension loaded. Given the arc that the rear end travels, the rear end actually moves toward the rear of the car (slightly) under loaded conditions.

Frank

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 02:53:06 PM »
Yes it is on a hoist, but it is sitting on the wheels and pretty much at ride height. The car is only going to settle maybe another inch or so when fully assembled and full of fuel, so I do not believe it will make much difference to how the driveshaft yoke will move into or out of the tranny. The rubber extension part of that seal which is close to the yoke radius is just for keeping dirt off of and for trapping any fluid that gets past the actual seal which is flush with the end of the transmission tail housing. So I am pretty sure even if it does rub the radius a little its no big deal. See attached pics of a second seal I have. I was just a little surprised it was that close to the yoke radius.

Offline warwick

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 03:15:36 PM »
May 68 Dearborn FE/C6 install pic attached.

Offline warwick

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 03:20:08 PM »
car not on lift....sitting on ground, no jack stands etc

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 05:28:54 PM »
Thanks, interesting as yours looks to have about 1/4" or so more clearance than I do, which is what I was expecting.
I believe the difference is probably because I replaced my rear springs with supposedly exact copies of the originals from Detroit Eaton, and that the axle locator hole/pin is NOT in the exact same place as on the original springs. To say the least, I was NOT impressed with the Detroit Eaton springs when I got them for several reasons.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:57:04 PM by 1970 Snake »