Author Topic: 289 engine Thermactor and brake booster vacuum  (Read 902 times)

Offline RichandBen

289 engine Thermactor and brake booster vacuum
« on: June 16, 2021, 05:08:46 PM »
Hi all, I would like details of the vacuum setup from the back of the inlet manifold to the Thermactor system and the brake booster. It?s kinda sorta possible to see it in one of the photos in the A & C Code Thermactor thread, that shows the hose between the air cleaner and the anti-backfire valve. My Dearborn convertible?s inlet manifold has an empty port there; or it was until we temporarily screwed in a blank to stop the air leak. I have found a fitting that will allow me to make the necessary connections:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/fitting-vacuum-port-rear/143685?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3D9a474-%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1966&year=1966

but I can?t find anything that shows me whether it is correct.

Cheers
Ben
March/early April (11 April delivery) 6F08C with Thermactor and three-speed manual transmission, Ivy Green

Offline jwc66k

Re: 289 engine Thermactor and brake booster vacuum
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:29:10 PM »
You need to get a set of 1966 Mustang Assembly Manuals, plus the 64-65 Chassis and 64-65 Weld and Sealant manuals as well. They answer questions you haven't asked yet.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 02:10:23 AM »
Don't think you need a collection of 66 Assembly manuals for just this question. They can be helpful as a place to start for many other question that may arise but suggest you don't use them as a sole guide for restoring your car. Seen cars done that way and its not pretty (correct looking)

As far as your question. Think I need some more information since I'm unclear of a couple of things

From reading are you stating you have a 66 Dearborn 289 C code with thermactor?  And that you had an empty vacuum attachment port at the rear of the intake manifold?

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RichandBen

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 04:04:33 AM »
From reading are you stating you have a 66 Dearborn 289 C code with thermactor?  And that you had an empty vacuum attachment port at the rear of the intake manifold?

Yes; in the pic of my inlet manifold you can see the blank we have put in temporarily, near the Firing Order information. Someone had put masking tape in the hole. There is no vacuum hose on the brake booster; there is masking tape over the booster vacuum port as well. Just to add to the fun, the distributor vacuum advance line has also been removed by person unknown and has disappeared.
March/early April (11 April delivery) 6F08C with Thermactor and three-speed manual transmission, Ivy Green

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 01:08:54 PM »
Don't think you need a collection of 66 Assembly manuals for just this question. They can be helpful as a place to start for many other question that may arise but suggest you don't use them as a sole guide for restoring your car. Seen cars done that way and its not pretty (correct looking)
On the other hand, my Mustang Assembly Manuals are marked up with corrections and additions from a lot of sources. They are a good place to make and keep your notes. And they're a lot better than the back of a paper bag.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 04:52:47 PM »
Yes; in the pic of my inlet manifold you can see the blank we have put in temporarily, near the Firing Order information. Someone had put masking tape in the hole. There is no vacuum hose on the brake booster; there is masking tape over the booster vacuum port as well. Just to add to the fun, the distributor vacuum advance line has also been removed by person unknown and has disappeared.

Guess I should have included the question as to which transmission the car came with. Reason we suggest this info be included in members signature

Of course everything was not be painted engine blue originally  ::) Nor the return spring attached as it is in the picture

Will guess it it is an automatic car.

Adding power brakes makes it more difficult since few small cars like the Mustang were ordered with that option

Here is a picture of the block shaped fitting you'll want. Threaded attachment point at one end and a large and small nipple along the top for the automatic vacuum and the smaller one for the thermactor valve

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Offline RichandBen

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 05:12:29 PM »
Dagnabbit, that was very thoughtless of me - mine has a 3-speed manual :-\ thank you for your efforts. I will rectify the signature situation. Ford did love screw-in rigid lines it seems. May I suggest that this image be added to the Thermactor thread?

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 06:44:13 PM by RichandBen »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 03:16:49 PM »
Dagnabbit, that was very thoughtless of me - mine has a 3-speed manual :-\ thank you for your efforts. I will rectify the signature situation. Ford did love screw-in rigid lines it seems. May I suggest that this image be added to the Thermactor thread?

With the 3 speed the nipple would just receive a rubber cap

Will add it to the picture to the main 66 Thermactor thread as requested
Jeff Speegle