Author Topic: Heater hose stripe color  (Read 881 times)

Offline hertz350

Heater hose stripe color
« on: November 10, 2020, 01:14:38 AM »
Wondering if members will post pictures of original heater hoses with the white stripe? I have looked at the reproductions from Kevin Marti and others and they do a poor job of matching originals I have seen. I no longer have original ones to look at right now

The Kevin Marti reproductions have a faint white ink stripe consisting of three lines. The color looks like a blue white. These don't match what I remember of original ones.

Any suggestions on making  a set or a source for NOS would be appreciated.

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Re: Heater hose stripe color
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »
HERTZ350

I think the option of actually finding genuine NOS heater hoses is a bit of a pipe dream, your best bet will be locating good used originals.

i agree with you about the Marti examples, not my favourite when doing a concours restoration.

i have attached a image of a set i have removed from a unrestored 66 mustang several years

Best regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 06:12:47 PM »
Don't think you have many options as your finding out. Either get a set of current reproductions or get them and redo the ink strip yourself some how. The "look" of the stripe would be the results of how the stripping fixture/machine was adjusted at the time (too much pressure or too little)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 06:51:49 PM »
HERTZ350

I think the option of actually finding genuine NOS heater hoses is a bit of a pipe dream, your best bet will be locating good used originals.

i agree with you about the Marti examples, not my favourite when doing a concours restoration.

i have attached a image of a set i have removed from a unrestored 66 mustang several years

Best regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
Phill, respectfully IMO the pictures you posted based on the appearance of the cross hatched reinforcement material apparent under the surface of the hoses are ether well patinaed Marti hoses (been available for 25+ years) or later service replacements. The assemblyline hoses are typically smooth and without any indication of the cross hatch weave reinforcement material under the surface. Also to a lesser degree the way the stripe ink is applied to the Marti hose leaves a different fingerprint compared to the assemblyline.  I have posted a picture of a sampling of a number of different original hoses I have with a older patinaed Marti hose laying crossways . The older Marti Hose I have does not have as distinguishable weave pattern under the surface like yours but it is still distinguishable non the less. The assemblyline hoses do not typically have that texture visible and are smooth . The stripe between your picture and the cross ways Marti hose I pictured although not identical are similar to each other. Nether stripe is completely comparable to the more solid stripe on the originals like the one I posted laying vertical in the picture. Again this just my opinion based on the ones that I have seen and worked with over the years.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 08:26:10 PM »
To support and further the discussion here are a few ok pictures from the time period on new or fairly new cars

At least the cars above appear to have hoses striped with two wheels. Gap or no gap would be a result of how well the machine was adjusted. These pictures may illustrate and document one batch of hoses made this way as its not something I've seen on others that I recall

Now for some examples of ones found on unrestored cars taken more recently

Hate when they installed them with the stripe down :) Just makes it more difficult

Jeff Speegle

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 09:55:10 PM »
JEFF

thanks for the added pictures

The person who did the original post is working on a San Jose built car (based on screen name and other posts on this and other forums) is there any evidence to suggest multiple suppliers of said part and or change in material or appearance through the early years based your knowledge and or images on hand.

to me my hoses in a previous reply match some of your from "fairly new cars" but is difficult to see details from your "time period" examples

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline hertz350

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 12:35:04 AM »
Here are  pictures of the hose from Kevin Marti. The stripe size is 13/64" What does the stripe measure on assembly line hoses?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 12:46:22 AM »
JEFF

The person who did the original post is working on a San Jose built car (based on screen name and other posts on this and other forums) is there any evidence to suggest multiple suppliers of said part and or change in material or appearance through the early years based your knowledge and or images on hand.

to me my hoses in a previous reply match some of your from "fairly new cars" but is difficult to see details from your "time period" examples

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
Phill ,I wanted to add that it wouldn't be out of the question for a different mfg to have a different look . I have studied the hose issue for quite a few years and if it is mfg difference at the very least it must be a very small minority based on the multitude (relatively speaking ) of the smooth variety found in original matrix over the years. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 12:47:37 AM »
JEFF

As far as the "texture" I can make out some texture in pictures of used hose. May develop over time and depending on the conditions, heat,  chemicals and just age or they may have started out with slightly less rubber content. Bottom line IMHO is that it appears that smooth and lightly textured can be originals based on what I'm seeing. Of course Ford didn't like to single source anything (so they could be held hostage by them) and since the  ribs (number and width) identified the different suppliers I think those things alone support multiple sources. Now if we only had enough original hoses that we could make some findings based on the ribs and other features but think we would come up short at this point
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 12:49:05 AM »
Here are  pictures of the hose from Kevin Marti. The stripe size is 13/64" What does the stripe measure on assembly line hoses?
I see now why you described 3 lines in your previous post.They apparently vary in appearance from different batches . The stripe looks the same size width wise but in your instance it looks like the roller wasn't evenly loaded with ink which resulted in the 3 line appearance. It should be a solid line like in the pictures Phill,Jeff and i posted. I haven't seen any Marti hoses striped in that way that I remember. That looks odd. I would send them back for the reason of a mis applied strip. Trying for another pair is your least expensive ,least time consuming and most likely least stress filled option. You don't have many options in the aftermarket for a alternative. Of course you can try for some nice used hoses however expect the price to be much more substantial if you can even find any and you will most likely have to stripe them yourself if your expectations are something that looks new looking.