Author Topic: 1970 Mach 1 spring / sway bar paint stripes (shocks too)  (Read 1252 times)

Offline ExportMach

1970 Mach 1 spring / sway bar paint stripes (shocks too)
« on: August 26, 2020, 05:04:48 PM »
Looking at my build sheet the front sway bar looks like it should have a 'Green' (G) and a 'Yellow' (Y) stripe. The front coils should have a 'gold' (GLD) and 'Pink' (PNK) stripe on each, the rear springs should have 'Gold' (GD), 'Gold' (GD), 'Violet' (VI) stripes near the shackles. Whats got me puzzled is the rear sway bar, the build sheet shows a 'C' and I cant think of what color stripe that would be. Cyan? Any suggests?

As a side note: if anyone is assembling a table of colors/features, my Mach has in addition to the Competition Handling Suspension all Machs are equipped with, it has the optional Export Handling Suspension which I have estimated to include heavier duty shocks and maybe springs. My front and rear shocks have 'Gold' (GLD) 'Gold' (GLD) daubs shown on both lines D1-6 and E1-6 on the build sheet. Does this indicate two paint daubs on the bottom of each shock or does it indicate one 'Gold' daub per shock per side? If I had to guess Id say two daubs per shock. I was under the impression that the Competition Suspension shocks have an 'Orange' (ORG) daub but I dont know if that is for the 351C/W or 428 equipped Machs or if all Machs received the same shocks regardless of displacement.
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Mach 1 spring / sway bar paint stripes (shocks too)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 11:02:00 PM »
Looking at my build sheet the front sway bar looks like it should have a 'Green' (G) and a 'Yellow' (Y) stripe. The front coils should have a 'gold' (GLD) and 'Pink' (PNK) stripe on each, the rear springs should have 'Gold' (GD), 'Gold' (GD), 'Violet' (VI) stripes near the shackles.

Great that you have the original or a copy of your buildsheet. Would be difficult to find another given the export package =- not allot of exported Mach I's in 70

BTW your front and rear spring colors are different from the non-export H code Mach I's (both auto and manual) I have copies of though on some other export cars the springs and shocks were not different from the US delivered examples

Whats got me puzzled is the rear sway bar, the build sheet shows a 'C' and I cant think of what color stripe that would be. Cyan? Any suggests?

What line and box are you looking at? Starting to look all the same :)

My front and rear shocks have 'Gold' (GLD) 'Gold' (GLD) daubs shown on both lines D1-6 and E1-6 on the build sheet. Does this indicate two paint daubs on the bottom of each shock or does it indicate one 'Gold' daub per shock per side? ....................

Need a little clarification since we can't see what your seeing. Does E 1-6 have "GLD" or "GLDGLD" written? GLD once = one single gold mark GLD GLD would suggest two marks of the same color. Really odd to see more than one mark but if these were export shocks they are going to be difficult to find a set.

I was under the impression that the Competition Suspension shocks have an 'Orange' (ORG) daub but I dont know if that is for the 351C/W or 428 equipped Machs or if all Machs received the same shocks regardless of displacement.

No orange is not something you find on other competition suspension bulidsheets in 70. You will find it on 4 speed 428's for the rears not the fronts. Same goes for the 70 Boss's

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 12:42:21 AM »

Great that you have the original or a copy of your buildsheet. Would be difficult to find another given the export package =- not allot of exported Mach I's in 70
Correct. 86 to be exact.

BTW your front and rear spring colors are different from the non-export H code Mach I's (both auto and manual) I have copies of though on some other export cars the springs and shocks were not different from the US delivered examples
front springs, Line D, boxes 18-23      G    L    D    P    N    K
                                                             18  19  20  21  22  23
rear springs, Line D, boxes 11-16       G    D    G    D    V    I
                                                             11  12  13  14  15  16

What line and box are you looking at? Starting to look all the same :)

Need a little clarification since we can't see what your seeing. Does E 1-6 have "GLD" or "GLDGLD" written? GLD once = one single gold mark GLD GLD would suggest two marks of the same color. Really odd to see more than one mark but if these were export shocks they are going to be difficult to find a set.
Line E, boxes 1-6  G L D G L D
                               1 2 3 4 5 6

No orange is not something you find on other competition suspension bulidsheets in 70. You will find it on 4 speed 428's for the rears not the fronts. Same goes for the 70 Boss's
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 12:54:03 AM by ExportMach »
Mark C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 12:46:12 AM »
Sorry - should have been   clearer. The one for the rear sway bar
Jeff Speegle

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 12:50:42 AM »
Sorry - should have been   clearer. The one for the rear sway bar
rear sway bar, Line D, box 17   'C'
front sway bar, Line D, boxes 24-25    G   Y
                                                             24  25

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 12:56:51 AM by ExportMach »
Mark C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 01:32:48 AM »
Thanks
One of the challenges in that late in the production year they changed the form and that code and the box got moved elsewhere but have enough of the earlier version (used most of the production year) to figure out what I was trying to get.

First was hoping that we could find another application that I might have notes or pictures of. Unfortunately I found that CJ and Boss 302 cars used a different sway bar so that path is dead.

There is always the chance that the letter represents a bin rather than color. I can't be sure the Boss and CJ's used a "D" which is a low letter numerically and less could be part of 4-6 bins used at that station.  The "D" does not decode with ease into a color found on those.

Will look through my 351 70 pictures to see if I've captured a picture of a color code. Don' think so since it should also be filed in my paint mark file of the data base. Good thing it's an easy mark to leave off and apply later so should not hold up a restoration 

Will report back

Jeff Speegle

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »
Thank you for all the digging youve done for me, I enjoy learning details about '69/'70 Mustangs to make me a better judge.

At this point Im going to keep looking but will be leaving the rear sway bar without markings. As you asserted, the 'C' could have been a bin and I think that is possible. I will report any findings I come across.
Mark C

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 10:54:53 PM »
As a side note: if anyone is assembling a table of colors/features, my Mach has in addition to the Competition Handling Suspension all Machs are equipped with, it has the optional Export Handling Suspension which I have estimated to include heavier duty shocks and maybe springs. My front and rear shocks have 'Gold' (GLD) 'Gold' (GLD) daubs shown on both lines D1-6 and E1-6 on the build sheet. Does this indicate two paint daubs on the bottom of each shock or does it indicate one 'Gold' daub per shock per side? If I had to guess Id say two daubs per shock. I was under the impression that the Competition Suspension shocks have an 'Orange' (ORG) daub but I dont know if that is for the 351C/W or 428 equipped Machs or if all Machs received the same shocks regardless of displacement.

I was looking through some images Ive had saved for a long time and i found these of an Autolite shock D0ZF-18080-E, blue body with two (2) gold daubs. I probably found them in an ebay auction. I dont think at the time I realized they have the gold daubs like my build sheet calls for.
Mark C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 04:18:32 PM »
I was looking through some images Ive had saved for a long time and i found these of an Autolite shock D0ZF-18080-E, blue body with two (2) gold daubs. I probably found them in an ebay auction. I don't think at the time I realized they have the gold daubs like my build sheet calls for.

They appear to be early service replacement (appears that supplier painted shocks in blue for a very short time for some reason) but the markings would match your buildsheet. Kind of surprised that the originals were not adjustables like earlier export cars/Mustangs but maybe this was a cost saver or it had to do with where the car was going to be sent.

Saw an export (to Europe originally) 70 Boss decades ago in New Zealand that had Ford script stamped Koni's correct dated. Very odd
Jeff Speegle

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 10:55:51 AM »
I was doing some more digging and I found a publication I got from my dad many years ago and it is chock full of good info and part numbers for Ford vehicle performance parts. There is a page each for front and rear sway bars including paint stripes. See attached.

Jeff S: Ive scanned this publication as a pdf, perhaps it could be posted in the library. It is out of print and Ive never seen or heard of anyone having a copy other than mine.
Mark C

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 02:32:44 PM »
I was doing some more digging and I found a publication I got from my dad many years ago and it is chock full of good info and part numbers for Ford vehicle performance parts. There is a page each for front and rear sway bars including paint stripes. See attached.

Jeff S: Ive scanned this publication as a pdf, perhaps it could be posted in the library. It is out of print and Ive never seen or heard of anyone having a copy other than mine.

Yes I've got a copy of the same I got decades ago. Not sure if I even kept my copy.

Wouldn't consider posting it in the library without permission of the author. Much of the  "book"  (photo copies of their text put into a loos leaf folder)is basically things gleaned from the 72 version of the MPC so nothing really new. As far as markings it's the same info that is in the MPC and may not reflect what was used on the assembly line since it relates to service replacement items. Since its fairly old sure many have never seen a copy. Use to be sold through directly through ads in publications and some shops use to resell it
Jeff Speegle