Author Topic: 70 351 Cleveland Starter Motor Cable Bracket.  (Read 987 times)

Offline Blown351stang

70 351 Cleveland Starter Motor Cable Bracket.
« on: October 04, 2020, 08:06:00 AM »
I wanted to see if some one has some photos of the engine mount for the correct placement of the starter motor cable bracket on the 70 cleveland engine hopefully unrestored.

The repo ones for the cleveland engine only allows you to put them on the bolt for the engine mount to frame bracket.

To put them on the engine mount bolt like Windsor's you would have to redrill the hole and change there shape.

I could not find any pictures in the Ford parts books for them.

If I face it up I feel that it would be to close to the exhaust manifold.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 351 Cleveland Starter Motor Cable Bracket.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 05:26:36 PM »
From the last 70 351C I was able to get under and get some pictures of. Of course was not focusing on the cable route just a couple of pictures that include some clues and details

From the front view it shows the guide attached much further forward than the motor mount like on other engine styles. - see red arrow

And from the rear the cable appears to be routed above the motor mount since it is not visible below in this shot

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 07:58:11 AM »
From the last 70 351C I was able to get under and get some pictures of. Of course was not focusing on the cable route just a couple of pictures that include some clues and details

From the front view it shows the guide attached much further forward than the motor mount like on other engine styles. - see red arrow

Yes thanks jeff the first one helps.

And I take it there's only one bracket for the cable and ford just let a power cable hang there from the first bracket to starter motor?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 03:47:46 PM »
Yes thanks jeff the first one helps.

And I take it there's only one bracket for the cable and ford just let a power cable hang there from the first bracket to starter motor?

Believe that the pictures on the example suggest that the cable was only held to the engine/car with that single clamp like was done on some other V8's installed in the late 60's

If anyone is wondering about the odd bracket with the hole in it behind the tie rod. I think the car was being converted to some aftermarket steering system and that is one of the mounting brackets already installed
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)