Author Topic: Correct voltage regulator?  (Read 812 times)

Offline hankmeister

Correct voltage regulator?
« on: September 10, 2020, 01:12:33 PM »
Was perusing Virginia Mustang site today, and noticed they have 3 different VR's in the 69-70 parts...I think C8A, C8F, and D0(something). Is the D0 correct for a Dec '69 Metuchen built Mustang?  I've been having some trouble with an on-again/off-again alternator gauge problem (swings wildly from time to time) and after reading a few threads here, the VR seems a likely culprit.

Many thanks in advance!
Hank
70 Fastback
351C / 4 bbl / 4 spd / front disc brakes
No a/c or p/s
Wimbledon Wht

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Correct voltage regulator?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 01:19:19 PM »
before you replace it check the grounds and remove the cover and clean the points. you might just see a difference.
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 01:22:01 PM »
Was perusing Virginia Mustang site today, and noticed they have 3 different VR's in the 69-70 parts...I think C8A, C8F, and D0(something). Is the D0 correct for a Dec '69 Metuchen built Mustang?  I've been having some trouble with an on-again/off-again alternator gauge problem (swings wildly from time to time) and after reading a few threads here, the VR seems a likely culprit.

Many thanks in advance!
The D0 means 1970 model ,C8AF is for the 38/42 amp alt ,C8TF for 55 amp alt . In reality the modern repros are all the same inside just different cosmetics on the outside.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 01:23:16 PM »
before you replace it check the grounds and remove the cover and clean the points. you might just see a difference.
The 68 and newer regulator covers are riveted on which makes thinks a little harder.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 01:24:55 PM »
I think the ones virginia sells are all solid state inside instead of the older style with mechanical contacts.

Offline hankmeister

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 02:20:10 PM »
The current VR is probably from the 90's or 00's...not sure if it's openable or not. I'll def check that, but was looking to get one of the original appearing units now available.

best
Hank
70 Fastback
351C / 4 bbl / 4 spd / front disc brakes
No a/c or p/s
Wimbledon Wht

Offline twl1104

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 09:43:17 PM »
When you drill out the rivits on the cover. Take the cover and regulator body to a Lionel Train shop,they can rerivit it back on, and they look great.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:09:03 PM by twl1104 »