Author Topic: Relationship/Similarities Between Engine ID Tags and Decals  (Read 1684 times)

Offline 70b302cat

Re: Relationship/Similarities Between Engine ID Tags and Decals
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 07:00:50 PM »
Engine (02/70 429SCJ) tag from my (03/70) Cyclone Spoiler.

No plant code.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 07:33:37 PM »
Looked through my pictures and don't have a bunch of the ID stickers that are legible after all these years.

Has anyone seen or have a picture of an original with a D as part of the prefix? For lack of a better term as this point

Added: see Tim has posted that has a picture of one in the thread below

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=21498.msg145681#msg145681
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 05:47:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 06:11:10 PM »
Looking at the engine tags I have pictures of so far it appears that only one plant used a plant identification code on the aluminum tag so that sort of kills the focus of this thread I would think unless others see an angle I don't

Below are exampled of 69 on the left and 70 on the right for some of the engines. Don't have enough to cover every combination and no 6 cylinder examples at the time

PS - Added a note and link to my post above related to the sticker and the use of the "D" in the coding
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 08:57:40 PM »
Looking at the engine tags I have pictures of so far it appears that only one plant used a plant identification code on the aluminum tag so that sort of kills the focus of this thread I would think unless others see an angle I don't

Below are exampled of 69 on the left and 70 on the right for some of the engines. Don't have enough to cover every combination and no 6 cylinder examples at the time
PS - Added a note and link to my post above related to the sticker and the use of the "D" in the coding
I posted 250 six cylinder engine tags above. Both the Cleveland and Ensite/Windsor tags have the plant ID on the metal tag. Lima and Dearborn don't. The six cylinder format looks the same as the Boss 429 so it seems likely they were assembled at the same plant. For those they have an oval FoMoCo in the middle of the second line. We might conclude the six cylinder paper decals look the same as the Boss 429? The Cleveland plant tags have the oval FoMoCo on the right side of the first line. The Windsor and Dearborn tags don't have the oval FoMoCo logo at all.
Perhaps some other Ford product could possibly have an intact engine paper decal. If we find one from the Cleveland or Dearborn plants we could probably assume the Mustang versions looked the same.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 09:27:50 PM »
......Perhaps some other Ford product could possibly have an intact engine paper decal. If we find one from the Cleveland or Dearborn plants we could probably assume the Mustang versions looked the same.

Agree this is an engine plant thing not restricted to only certain car lines except in that cases where an engine was not available in a certain or multiple car lines - Example Boss 429
Jeff Speegle