Author Topic: Headlight wiring harness tape in retainers SOURCE?  (Read 866 times)

Offline Crgjohnson

Headlight wiring harness tape in retainers SOURCE?
« on: September 10, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »
Working on restoring a 70 Mustang headlight wiring harness and all the wrap in retainers that attach the harness to the apron are broken.  I can't seem to find a reproduction. What is everyone doing when these commonly broken retainers are needed?

Thanks,
Craig
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 09:25:53 AM by Crgjohnson »
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Headlight wiring harness tape in retainers SOURCE?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 12:16:29 AM »
Working on restoring a 70 Mustang headlight wiring harness and all the wrap in retainers that attach the harness to the apron are broken.  I can't seem to find a reproduction. What is everyone doing when these commonly broken retainers are needed?

Thanks,
Craig
I don't know about anyone else but I rob them from a junk harness .I don't throw the junk harness away until almost nothing is left. I don't know how many times that has saved me time and effort to find a random part. The clips  are prevalent in many Ford vintage applications so plenty of sources .Places like West Coast Cougar will have them . The problem is getting someone to search,cut out and ship such a small inexpensive random part. It is best IMHO (and polite)to try and buy something else along with the small inconsequential part so that the vendor can justify the effort. That's my input. Maybe others know another way.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 03:51:12 PM »
Agreed. Either (if you can) you pay someone for their time to pull them or its another trip to a Pick-n-Pull sort of place and you do it while gather as much little stuff you can still find on any carcass/donor. Trucks, wagons, vans, sedans   ......
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 12:09:23 AM »
Thanks Bob and Jeff. I have been robbing my scrap harness but my stash has run dry. I’m surprised this retainer is not reproduced. Thanks again for your input.

Craig
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »
Can you post a picture of the retainers?

Offline twl1104

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 09:31:34 PM »
C&G Ford parts handle the white C7AZ-13A506-s retainers. AMK has real close black retainer with a rubber washer. Cut off the washer and it is close.