Author Topic: 70 rear fold-down panel fitment problem  (Read 700 times)

Offline RocketScientist

70 rear fold-down panel fitment problem
« on: June 17, 2020, 05:03:55 AM »
I am finding that my interior panels do not clear the support braces for the rear floor and I was wondering if my panels have been repaired incorrectly. The floor braces look like they have been untouched. It is impossible to find an undamaged panel to compare with and the repo panels are notched in this area. I do not know if the repos reflect what the originals were like or they have been modified to alleviate a common problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Brad

Offline RocketScientist

Re: 70 rear fold-down panel fitment problem
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 08:51:18 PM »
So I guess no-one has seen an original, undamaged panel before????   ;D ;D ;D

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 09:16:20 PM »
Have been looking into this in some free time since you posted. Not allot of people/owners taking pictures of this panel and that lower corner is hidden from view on an fully assembled car.

What I've found so far.

All of the 69's I've found pictures of so far with fold downs had the notch in the lower corner at the trap door opening.

Pictures are from different cars. Do have more of this version

Did find corner panels as you show but the pictures are not labeled to identify plant they came from. Given the paint finish on the panels should confirm they are 70's

Unfortunately this does not address your fit issue. Still hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 09:35:09 AM »
Jeff, as usual you are a legend in finding the impossible and I did not expect to find two versions.  It helps immensely with my problem and I know what to do to fix it.
Thanks
Brad

Offline shelbyboss302

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 03:11:17 PM »
I learn't the hard way with fitment after I changed trunk floor and middle pan without checking where the brackets go and I welded anyway. Now I have to cut the welds, fit the fiberglass panels and tac weld in the correct location. What a pain in the ass after it was all painted, and found out the fitment was way off. Jeff has quite the library of pictures and knows his shit.

Shelby
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 03:57:57 PM by shelbyboss302 »

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 09:56:02 AM »
I am suffering a similar problem where the 'professional restorer'  who replaced my trunk sections also did a bad job on those bracket installations. They only need to be a little bit off to spoil your whole day.