Author Topic: 70 FB Dearborn Diff Hub paint  (Read 466 times)

Offline Rusty#1

70 FB Dearborn Diff Hub paint
« on: May 13, 2020, 02:59:12 PM »
Hello,
Basically a newbie so please be gentle. I am in the process of rebuilding a 70 FB. Convinced the rear Diff is correct through the Martti report, Tags and Date code I started to sand blast the years of manipulation off of it. Breaking through the last layer before bare metal I am noticing orange paint?
Could this be correct?, from my research I am not seeing this. I see the same tone of paint on the front coil as well, mainly under the teflon insulator? Possibly just a assembly mark there, but deffenatqy not on the Hub. I will attempt to attach pics.
Thanks in advance..
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 03:06:44 PM by Rusty#1 »
1970 FB Dearborn M Code, Built Feb,20,70
Black/Black, Comp Suspension, 4 speed wide, 9" 3.25 T-Lock
1969 FB GT J Code San Jose, Built July,15,68 Highland Green/Black, 8" 3.25, 4 Speed, Fact-Tacho

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 FB Dearborn Diff Hub paint
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 05:29:26 PM »
Just to make clear. Your asking about the orange color on what appears to be the brake drums for the rearend?

Taking your word for it that this is paint since we can't see it in person. From my view it looks a little like some rusting you can find in pictures

Not unusual to find where some prior owner rattle canned the brake drums or the whole rear end at some point with some crazy red, blue or orange color after they added air shocks.

Have not see brake drums identified with any colored brake marks like other parts including disk brake rotors in some years. IMHO its got nothing to do with any other markings you have found

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Rusty#1

Re: 70 FB Dearborn Diff Hub paint
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 07:00:09 PM »
Thanks Jeff,
Your probably 100% Correct, just wanted to make sure. I should have taken a pic half way though the Job as it was absolutely evident then, you could clearly see the layers. It was black when I started and that Orange was just before the bare metal. I left that trace just for reference and for a picture for this thread. When I seen the pic I said the same thing..It looks like rust, they are going to think I'm nuts  :P
Thanks for the help, this car was completely apart and what was done, was terrible, so I am redoing it all. I' a sucker for punishment I guess.
My first 70 so I'll be back with more questions I'm sure.
1970 FB Dearborn M Code, Built Feb,20,70
Black/Black, Comp Suspension, 4 speed wide, 9" 3.25 T-Lock
1969 FB GT J Code San Jose, Built July,15,68 Highland Green/Black, 8" 3.25, 4 Speed, Fact-Tacho