Author Topic: Does date stamping new parts create ethical issue?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline tobkob

Re: Does date stamping new parts create ethical issue?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 02:51:26 PM »
I had my car judged at a local small show and I got pinged as my rear window has many small chips from roof gravel hitting it. (this was before I purchased it when it had been rear-ended and sat for many years with the rear end hanging just out from the carport). the person doing the judging told me I should replace the glass. I told him it is the original glass with all the proper date codes on it. He told me that I can purchase new glass and have it properly date stamped/etched for the car.

So, which is better? Keep the old original glass that is as old and worn as the rest of the glass on the car but has little chips (hardly noticeable from 5 feet) or new glass and have it marked to give it proper date coding with logos?

I've kept the old chipped glass as it is the original glass to the car and matches the look of the rest of the original glass on the car.

I also chose to keep my not perfect but very presentable original glass. I would much rather see original parts even though slightly imperfect than a bunch of repro parts on any vintage car. Now with that being said, some parts need to be replaced.  Just my humble opinion.   :)

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Does date stamping new parts create ethical issue?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »
It depends on what your expectations are. If for instance judged in concours the condition of the item is supposed to look like new all things being equal. If it doesn't then don't be upset or surprise if there is at least a mention . The deduction if any would depend on how much off the new mark the item in this case glass is from new condition. A new piece of glass with correct trademark but no other issues is not going to get a second look.Date codes are not typically considered unless Thoroughbred or Premier class. FYI in those hardest of classes you would get a deduction if you could tell it was not genuine Ford glass but also a deduction for condition typically if the genuine item didn't look as good as new.  Another perspective to consider is if your otherwise completely restored to new condition car that had the majority of things refreshed or replaced already has in it glass that has road rash then that may make sense to you but others it would be seen as a detraction. It is not like you are cutting a lot of originality out of a car that has most all aspects changed already in the case of a restored car and original but not new looking glass. If there was not a lot of acceptable looking alternatives it would be a different story but that is not the case. If it makes you feel better do it but don't expect everyone else to automatically agree.  Of course it is your car and your decision is most important for your car. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby