Author Topic: Question for the members  (Read 1851 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Question for the members
« on: March 22, 2020, 02:00:23 AM »
Wondering so thought I would ask the active members their thoughts.

Should oddities such as cars built that were out of the ordinary be posted? And if so where would they fit in? 

One of the concerns in showing oddities is it often feeds the idea that "anything" could have happened and we know where that road leads.

I know these are interesting but just concerned possibly about the unintended consequences.

If you don't want to respond publically PM's work also

Thanks

Will remove the thread once its usefulness is done ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1966KGT

Re: Question for the members
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 09:04:54 AM »
Sure, the are out there, would be interesting to see what shows up with complete proper documentation.
1966 K GT, BUILT 11/08/65 4 SPEED, SAN JOSE CAR, 1969 Mustang convertible, 1970 MACH 1, 1963 GALAXIE Q code Fastback, 1966 mustang t code coupe, fuel injected

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
Perhaps in a Members Only section, also perhaps a form of watermark that prevents the specific oddity from being shared without the watermark itself ruining the image.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 09:49:52 AM »
I am not sure what you are asking. IMHO things like factory mistakes that are documented like the lack of a dome light in our unrestored 68 HCS coupe are important to show there were inconsistencies and mistakes made. That was not Fords desire or plan so IMHO restored cars should be build to Ford's desired quality level and standard.

Or if you are talking about prototypes such as Little Red or others I think it is ok as long as the thread title is clear on what it is about.

Offline tobkob

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 11:06:41 AM »
Perhaps in a Members Only section, also perhaps a form of watermark that prevents the specific oddity from being shared without the watermark itself ruining the image.

+1   I think it would be very interesting and entertaining to see some of the foul ups without them showing up on restored cars.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 11:10:28 AM »
+1   I think it would be very interesting and entertaining to see some of the foul ups without them showing up on restored cars.

TOB

agreed....would be an interesting read.
5F09C331248

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 11:26:15 AM »

This sounds like a feasible option. Knowing this forum you expect to find what is correct and proper. When you do a Google search and it comes up with photos from concoursmustang.com you think that gives it status, the thought that is a correct picture. You do not always get the text that goes with it so you may end up with an "That's not Concours" image but think that it is.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 11:36:16 AM by carlite65 »
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline tobkob

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 11:57:16 AM »
You do not always get the text that goes with it so you may end up with an "That's not Concours" image but think that it is.

Thus the watermark.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »
Define "oddity". Is it the spring shield (aka upper "A" arm bracket support) bolts on some Dearborn cars that came into the engine compartment from the wheel well; or the rearranged typing on the door data plate; or the missing paint codes on the data plate that were really part of the DSO; or dealer installed "anything"?
As long as "oddity" is documented as such, does it make a difference?
Remember, Ford did not make "concourse grade" cars.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 04:24:00 PM »
Was not thinking of the wrong shock tower being installed on the wrong car, factory fixed VIN's  multiple spare tire hold downs on a single car or things like that.  Those would just be mistakes that were not correct at the plant for one reason or another. Think we have in the past addressed and discussed that sort of thing.

At the same time, though claims may be more than a few, I was thinking and have examples of cars that present themselves as being built  one type of car but were finished out as another. Forgive me but I'm kind of searching for a way to describe them without going into specific at this point.  Would guess the list of examples that we will find is very very small but at the same time it may help distract us at this point in time from what is going on in many of our daily lives.

Just a thought and thanks for the input so far. Will continue to read the responses
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 07:30:25 PM »
I think that the Mari Report covers "claims" for 67 and up. Your "search" is really about the 64-66 years, and there is not much back-up data for those years.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 12:10:02 AM »
I think that the Mari Report covers "claims" for 67 and up. ..........................

I've found over the years it doesn't always work that way. Kevin is aware of the two cars I'm thinking of and we've discussed the subject a few times in person. Again this is very very limited. 

This sort of related discussion is what I was referring to when I mentioned the unintended consequences (ripple affect) possible with the postings. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 01:22:12 PM »
If my vote counts, I like the idea of a dedicated Oddities Section.

I agree that "Oddity" should probably have some sort of definition.

....but you guys have done an excellent job with this site, so anything you decide will be fine with me.

Thank you.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 01:51:09 PM »
If my vote counts, I like the idea of a dedicated Oddities Section.
I agree that "Oddity" should probably have some sort of definition.
True. It's the "oddities" that make life (and Mustangs) interesting.
Jim

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 09:03:54 PM »
True. It's the "oddities" that make life (and Mustangs) interesting.
Jim
+1.  Sometimes, the oddities become running changes or standard features.  It's the unusual stuff that members of this forum creates a good discussion.  Be careful, we are more interested in oddities that come from the factory vice after-sales changes by owners.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com