Author Topic: Fuel gauge inaccurate  (Read 771 times)

Offline Captain Kent

Fuel gauge inaccurate
« on: January 21, 2020, 03:31:37 PM »
I have posted problems with my 67 200 6 cyl 3 spd instruments in the last 3 months. Temp and press now correct but fuel gauge reads above full with little gas on board.

I tested the gauge following  members instructions ( the gauge tested goes full ) and bench tested the sending unit with success. When sending unit installed the fuel gauge reads above full.

What am I missing? Is it possible when wet the sending unit is shorting?
1967 Lone Star Special. Owned since ‘74
Produced in Dearborn April 7, 67
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline RoyceP

Re: Fuel gauge inaccurate
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 04:08:49 PM »
Easy to check. Measure the resistance when the tank is empty. Compare to the resistance when the tank is full. Should be a big difference.

The gage should read zero with the sending unit unplugged. It should peg if you connect the wire to ground.   
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »
I have posted problems with my 67 200 6 cyl 3 spd instruments in the last 3 months. Temp and press now correct but fuel gauge reads above full with little gas on board.

I tested the gauge following  members instructions ( the gauge tested goes full ) and bench tested the sending unit with success. When sending unit installed the fuel gauge reads above full.

What am I missing? Is it possible when wet the sending unit is shorting?
The next step you won't be thrilled to do, remove the sender. After over 50 years of the float moving up and down, moving its attached arm on a what can be described as a "coil", that coil wears out. As long as you've got the old sender out, have a new one ready to be installed.
Pics:
The winding - worn.
The wiper arm - worn.
The wiring diagram.
A simple schematic.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 04:51:54 PM »
I am now about to install the 2nd new sending unit. Just can’t figure out why sending unit checks out on the bench and doesn’t work when installed. The gauge appears good also. Is it possible that when wet the sending unit goes bad. Also is it possible that the unit isn’t grounded?
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 05:04:58 PM »
where did you get the sender unit??
5F09C331248

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 05:35:47 PM »
...Also is it possible that the unit isn’t grounded?

Simple to find out, get a wire and temporarily ground the sender.
It should be grounded through the tank and through the senders lock ring but anything is possible
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 06:56:25 PM »
Not sure where I got this sending unit. Restoration over 5 years. Probably had for a year.
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 09:41:30 PM »
If you have a second sender plug the wire on it then run a ground wire to the sender frame. With someone in the car work the arm up and down. See if it reads close to correct.

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 01:22:39 PM »
If you have a second sender plug the wire on it then run a ground wire to the sender frame. With someone in the car work the arm up and down. See if it reads close to correct.

I have one and will try that today. Thx
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 06:52:26 PM »

I have one and will try that today. Thx

Well I tried your suggestion gauge showed full the whole time. The brand new sending unit made no difference.

So I guess the gauge is bad?

200 6cyl 3spd

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 06:53:42 PM »
Simple to find out, get a wire and temporarily ground the sender.
It should be grounded through the tank and through the senders lock ring but anything is possible

Tried this, no luck
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 08:24:39 PM »
Well I tried your suggestion gauge showed full the whole time. The brand new sending unit made no difference.

So I guess the gauge is bad?

Did it return to empty when unhooked? If you run a ground to sender wire it will show full all of the time. I do not understand how it would do this through the external sender unless you some how grounded the wire.

It is difficult to fix these things from a far. You may be better of getting some professional help.

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 02:20:40 AM »
Did it return to empty when unhooked? If you run a ground to sender wire it will show full all of the time. I do not understand how it would do this through the external sender unless you some how grounded the wire.

It is difficult to fix these things from a far. You may be better of getting some professional help.

I think I found it. I think the new gauge I put in was not quite straight and may have grounded the unit. Worked through it and powered it up. Instead of a full needle it went to E. Checked all the voltage again and couldn’t figure out. But I waited a couple of min and the needle rose just a little. I didn’t wait long enough. So I think through all the process of draining the tank and adding fuel and driving it a bit I may have only 2 gallons or so in the tank.
200 6cyl 3spd