Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 San Jose Correct Steering, Suspension, Brake & Fastener Finishes  (Read 3890 times)

Offline bullitt68

You can check with Chris Brown http://www.brownsautobodyservices.com/classics  .  He sells a nice small bleeder replacement.

Great thanks Bob I appreciate it
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline bullitt68

We are up and running with our new plating system and I am looking forward to platting any parts I can in house. I will start with some brake parts to see how they turn out as I plan to replace most of the brake parts in the photo with new parts that come in the full rebuild kit. I will of course refinish the parking brake levers and the brake shoe adjusting levers as they appear to be correct originals. I will also replace the bake cylinders as mine are pitted in the sleeve. Does anyone have photo of an original cylinder & boots. I am not sure what cylinders there are that came in my car. Also which side has the gold dichromate parts. I believe one side is bright silver zinc and one side is gold dichromate

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 03:15:21 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline RoyceP

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
You might want to look here:

https://www.deadnutson.com/1968-69-rear-brake-cylinders-with-small-bleeder-c6oz-2262-a/
Chris Brown is the one that has had brake cylinders made and wholesales them to retailers like Jack.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
I will start with some brake parts to see how they turn out as I plan to replace most of the brake parts in the photo with new parts that come in the full rebuild kit. I will of course refinish the parking brake levers and the brake shoe adjusting levers as they appear to be correct originals. I will also replace the bake cylinders as mine are pitted in the sleeve. Does anyone have photo of an original cylinder & boots. I am not sure what cylinders there are that came in my car. Also which side has the gold dichromate parts. I believe one side is bright silver zinc and one side is gold dichromate

There's not many parts from those pics that get plated

Gold:
Adjuster brackets
Hold-down pin washers (there were a washed out Gold)
Hold-down pins
Bleeders

Would never re-use the C clamps for the park brake bracket, they are one-time use pieces

Zinc:
Cable slides
Cable ends were zinc, hard to duplicate with cable crimped, NOS is best

Adjusters: I usually do those in phosphate
Wheel cylinder push pins: Tumbled or blast and quick 15s dip in phosphate

The finish of the wheel cylinder bolts changed during the years, have seen phosphate and zinc, best to get feedback on that one.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline RoyceP

Right. My point is that the ones he has are some other aftermarket brand, not the originals which are faithfully reproduced.

Chris Brown is the one that has had brake cylinders made and wholesales them to retailers like Jack.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline bullitt68

Mike

Offline bullitt68

Thanks Bob going to order a set from Browns
Mike

Offline bullitt68

There's not many parts from those pics that get plated

Gold:
Adjuster brackets
Hold-down pin washers (there were a washed out Gold)
Hold-down pins
Bleeders

Would never re-use the C clamps for the park brake bracket, they are one-time use pieces

Zinc:
Cable slides
Cable ends were zinc, hard to duplicate with cable crimped, NOS is best

Adjusters: I usually do those in phosphate
Wheel cylinder push pins: Tumbled or blast and quick 15s dip in phosphate

The finish of the wheel cylinder bolts changed during the years, have seen phosphate and zinc, best to get feedback on that one.

Thanks Charles that is great info
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Right. My point is that the ones he has are some other aftermarket brand, not the originals which are faithfully reproduced.
The reproduction wheel cylinders Jack sells are Chris Browns as far as know . Chris is the only one to come out with a reproduction small bleeder Ford wheel cylinder that I am aware of. Regardless of who you buy from you get the same part.Both are great vendors to buy from . I think that if you buy from Chris direct you will not get a better price then Jack.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

The reproduction wheel cylinders Jack sells are Chris Browns as far as know . Chris is the only one to come out with a reproduction small bleeder Ford wheel cylinder that I am aware of. Regardless of who you buy from you get the same part.Both are great vendors to buy from . I think that if you buy from Chris direct you will not get a better price then Jack.

Browns quotes $99.00 on their website
DNO quotes $106.00 on their website
Mike