Author Topic: Color of fold down seat on fastback - 67  (Read 495 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Color of fold down seat on fastback - 67
« on: December 31, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
Like the OP, my car came to me without the fold down assembly. I am looking for guidance on painting the fold down panels and the trunk-side of the trap door. The interior-side of the trap door will be painted to match the interior - saddle.

My car is an April 1967 Metuchen Fastback 63A
Exterior: Y, Dark Moss Green
with a 2F interior: Saddle standard bucket Seats

I know the carpet was dark brown and all other metal trim pieces (that I have) are painted saddle.

I did a search for "fold down" and did not find the information needed.

Thank you and Happy New Year.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline jwc66k

Re: Color of fold down seat on fastback - 67
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »
Like the OP, my car came to me without the fold down assembly. I am looking for guidance on painting the fold down panels and the trunk-side of the trap door. The interior-side of the trap door will be painted to match the interior - saddle.
My car is an April 1967 Metuchen Fastback 63A
Exterior: Y, Dark Moss Green
with a 2F interior: Saddle standard bucket Seats
I know the carpet was dark brown and all other metal trim pieces (that I have) are painted saddle.
If you have a copy of the 67 Mustang Interior and Body Assembly manuals, some of your questions will be answered there. If you don't have a set, i recommend you get them.
The trap door should be painted the same interior color on both sides. The bare folding seat parts should be the same color as the interior, although I've seen the backside of the fixed section painted black although the interior was red. I can't verify that was the factory color or not. Remember, the folding sections are carpeted and the edges have chrome pieces. The seat frames were dip painted black - frame, springs and tags.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 04:49:26 PM »
Like the OP, my car came to me without the fold down assembly. I am looking for guidance on painting the fold down panels and the trunk-side of the trap door.

Back side of the trap door is the same as the front side. If you look at the pictures of the fastbacks shown in the unrestored picture section of the site there is likely one or two in there for example. Remember to paint the hinges the same color as the interior also for this year and plant

Fold down panels are painted to match the interior color one example from another thread

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=5170
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 01:26:27 PM »
Thank you Jim and Jeff.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2020, 01:45:53 PM »
I took apart the first two panels (curved panel and seat back panel) of my fold down seat assembly this weekend. I was surprised to find the edges of the seat back panel bare steel - no paint. The flat surface the rug was installed on was mostly painted. However, there was a 1/2" border around the perimeter of this flat surface that had been masked and was also bare.

Is this unpainted border something the factory did to ensure the chrome fit properly? Or was this a previous owner thing?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 06:12:39 PM »
I took apart the first two panels (curved panel and seat back panel) of my fold down seat assembly this weekend. I was surprised to find the edges of the seat back panel bare steel - no paint. The flat surface the rug was installed on was mostly painted. However, there was a 1/2" border around the perimeter of this flat surface that had been masked and was also bare.

Is this unpainted border something the factory did to ensure the chrome fit properly? Or was this a previous owner thing?

Was just going through some of the pictures to respond to another thread and there are a number of possible explanations for what your describe

- Some prior owner might have taken the lazy route in recoloring some sections of the fold down by simply masking off the chrome trim and painting the rest

- The panel may be from a non-fold down car since those were painted with the chrome trim attached as shown in the picture below (done in 67 and 68)

Its not unusual in my experience to find thin paint on the ends of the painter didn't put on a good coat and didn't make the effort to catch all the edges
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 08:23:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)