Author Topic: 67 exhaust hangers  (Read 3029 times)

Offline 67gta289

67 exhaust hangers
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:18:57 PM »
My 67 289-2v single exhaust transverse muffler appears to be hung by brackets directly connected to the muffler, which attach to flat plates welded to the frame (one per side).  One picture is below.

Looking at a 67 Shelby undergoing restoration, these flat plates are not even installed.  Per the body assembly manual is looks like there is no direct support of the dual exhaust transverse muffler.  Rather, the dual exhaust version appears to be supported at the rear of the resonators (at the rear floor pan as it rises to the back seat) and also near the exhaust tips.  The transverse muffler itself looks like it floats between these supports. 

Am I describing both systems accurately, and if not, corrections welcome.

Does the single exhaust system get a resonator ahead of the muffler?  Is there any direct support of that resonator, or does it float between the exhaust manifold connections and the transverse muffler hanger?

Thanks, John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 exhaust hangers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:43:57 PM »
My 67 289-2v single exhaust transverse muffler appears to be hung by brackets directly connected to the muffler, which attach to flat plates welded to the frame (one per side).  One picture is below.

Not certain that all single exhaust cars got the plate that is shown in your picture. Seen plenty with no plate on the exterior

Looking at a 67 Shelby undergoing restoration, these flat plates are not even installed.  Per the body assembly manual is looks like there is no direct support of the dual exhaust transverse muffler.  Rather, the dual exhaust version appears to be supported at the rear of the resonators (at the rear floor pan as it rises to the back seat) and also near the exhaust tips.  The transverse muffler itself looks like it floats between these supports. 

The duals also have brackets and hangers at the tips so the system (pretty much all 67-69 duals) is supported by to brackets and hangers behind each resonator and one at the rear between the tip area to the rear frame

Am I describing both systems accurately, and if not, corrections welcome.

Does the single exhaust system get a resonator ahead of the muffler?  Is there any direct support of that resonator, or does it float between the exhaust manifold connections and the transverse muffler hanger?

Yes in front of the muffler and it is support by the pipes alone
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:14:19 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 11:48:34 AM »
I will suggest that the single exhaust plates that are shown appeared on earlier production 67s and that sometime after Dec 66, Ford slightly re-tooled to use the frame rails without the plates.

+1 on the rest of what Jeff replied with.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
Thanks Pete - could not remember the change over period nor had the time to go through all the pictures ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:14:41 PM »
thanks for the replies - mine is a Dec 20 build single exhaust application, with the plates (obviously). The 67 shelby that I was looking at (under restoration) did not have the plates, nor any other holes that would accomodate a single exhaust system.  I will have to get the build date.  My original speculation was that these plates were not installed in dual exhaust applications since they were not needed.  I was not aware of a design change that affected this area.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline socalgt

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:43:40 PM »
Did any '67 289 dual exhaust cars have the transverse muffler mounted at the factory?  I don't see many put back that way, if in fact, that is original.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:58:56 PM by socalgt »

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 04:58:42 PM »
It is my understanding that the only 67 dual exhaust 289 would have been the K code, and for those they would all be transverse.  This also required the GT option, which then resulted in the bright quad exhaust tips.

All other 67 289 A and C codes had single exhaust with turn down before the rear valence, also with transverse muffler.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 07:36:28 PM »
Did any '67 289 dual exhaust cars have the transverse muffler mounted at the factory?  I don't see many put back that way, if in fact, that is original.

All V8's used a transverse rear muffler both big and small block

There has not been many transverse mufflers for purchase for many years - and other than NOS many are difficult to find. Scott Fuller reproduces them for some applications now

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 04:27:34 PM »
I will suggest that the single exhaust plates that are shown appeared on earlier production 67s and that sometime after Dec 66, Ford slightly re-tooled to use the frame rails without the plates.

+1 on the rest of what Jeff replied with.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Another Running Change candidate?

John? Do you have a usable image

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 07:30:24 PM »
Another Running Change candidate?

Added to the list and linked to this thread.
Right now, before a full survey,  I would place the change between Dec 66 and March 67. Plates were moved to the inside of the frame rail rather than attached to the surface as shown in an early exampled using pictures from one of the cars in the unrestored thread section. Didn't check to see if these were included in the upload.

Passenger side transverse muffler frame mounting plate/bracket

Driver side transverse muffler frame mounting plate/bracket

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:36:04 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle