Author Topic: 69 Mustang Shelby GT-500 PS pump  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Keithc8

69 Mustang Shelby GT-500 PS pump
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:30:28 AM »
 I know about the two colors the pumps were painted but as some say on here a grumpy old man in Indiana told me that the Blue Teal color pumps dipstick was cad plated and the black pump dipstick was painted black with the pump. I got marked of on my car because my dipstick was not painted but my pump is the blue color. I am trying to correct some things on the car from the judging sheets but after talking with Ed  I may not need to paint the dipstick. Does anyone have an opinion or can prove other wise.
 There are also some other things marked on the judging sheets that I am getting some different opinions on. This is all important when you are trying to get from silver to gold on your score and I do not want to do it twice or do it wrong again.
 My spare tire hold down bolt was marked wrong but again it came from Scott Fuller and was suppose to be correct and according to Ed it is. I have a few other things that I will ask about later.
 Thanks, Keith
  p w

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Mustang Shelby GT-500 PS pump
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:07:30 AM »
Have seen a number of original "teal" colored pumps with painted handles as well as a shadow on the neck to indicate that the dipstick was in place at the time it painted. Plenty of service replacements that duplicate the practice also

I don't believe I've ever deducted for this detail, yet, only left notes sharing the info,  Since you didn't mention what venue you were entered in I'm unsure of which show it was deducted for.

You will likely always get some differing opinions (though we are working to smooth most of them out)  I always suggest that owners listen to opinions from those that will be passing judgment on. I know we changed a couple of items on our car before it want to SAAC even though I disagreed and changed them back after the show and before any magazines got to shot the car. ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 01:09:50 PM »
I know about the two colors the pumps were painted but as some say on here a grumpy old man in Indiana told me that the Blue Teal color pumps dipstick was cad plated and the black pump dipstick was painted black with the pump. I got marked of on my car because my dipstick was not painted but my pump is the blue color. I am trying to correct some things on the car from the judging sheets but after talking with Ed  I may not need to paint the dipstick. Does anyone have an opinion or can prove other wise.
 There are also some other things marked on the judging sheets that I am getting some different opinions on. This is all important when you are trying to get from silver to gold on your score and I do not want to do it twice or do it wrong again.
 My spare tire hold down bolt was marked wrong but again it came from Scott Fuller and was suppose to be correct and according to Ed it is. I have a few other things that I will ask about later.
 Thanks, Keith
  p w

Kieth, you must have misunderstood Ed on the teal dipstick issue . He was the one that confirmed my observations on the painted (regardless of color)dipstick issue 20 years ago. I believe he is of the same opinion. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Keithc8

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:08:36 PM »
 I get so confussed on this stuff because of all of this information. I talked with him not a week ago and was going over the sheets with him. That was what he told me then. I guess I will run it by him again. Just trying to fix the simple things. Have a lot of the little things fixed like the rear backing plate rubber plugs, rubber under the upper radiator support that had one tit missing, trunk underlayment and anti rattle cardboard piece for the right side.
  There was something about the trunk wire and paint. The rear deck lid trunk light wire was rolled up and painted while Ed was at my shop. He said he hoped to get back through soon and we can go over some of this stuff.
 When you work within less than a .001 like I do on these engines there are no real grey areas. You have it pretty much right or you do not. On these cars there seems to be a few different ways they are looked at depending on who is doing the judging. I would like to talk with you Bob when you have time and maybe you can help me with the list as well.
Thanks, Keith