Author Topic: Pinch weld blackout question  (Read 1302 times)

Offline carm

Pinch weld blackout question
« on: October 06, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »
Just about ready to do the pinch weld blackout on my car. Will also be blacking out anything that hangout below the pinch weld, like the front frame rails torque boxes and convertible seat support. Do the rear frame rails get the same blackout and how far?
Im also wondering if the rear wheelwells also got the blackout at this stage at Ford . I would think so as it would give the car more finished or presentable look.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:46:31 PM by J_Speegle »
1969 GT350 convertible grabber orange
Auto
Built: April 21,1969. Dearborn

Offline carm

Re: pinch weld blackout time
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
some pictures of original blackout. the wheel well dont seem to have any blackout, other some small traces of black paint in the crevices of the soundproofing. Must of been wash off over the year.
Auto

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 08:28:05 PM »
Just about ready to do the pinch weld blackout on my car. Will also be blacking out anything that hangout below the pinch weld, like the front frame rails torque boxes and convertible seat support. Do the rear frame rails get the same blackout and how far?

Rear frame rails in the wheel well and forward of that would not typically be in the spray path of the paint application. You may find some "blow out" in the front edge of the wheel well onto the sound deadener and some (wheel well edge works as a mask for much of the area from that angle) of the frame rail right behind it for maybe a 6" round spot at best. This would have happened when the gun/spray reached the end of that front pinch weld surface and is often repeated at the rear of the wheel well when the sprayer started up again. Didn't happen that way every time - just depended on when the spray was triggered and what angle the spray head was aimed.

The frame rail behind the wheel well can some some overspray/direct application depending on the angle of the spray. This would be visible on the bottom and outer surface of the frame rail. If doing a later car with a dark batch undercarriage at the rear the overspray may go unnoticed. An example of this is picture labeled U-12 in the thread titled 70 GT500 - Unrestored Picture Thread

Im also wondering if the rear wheelwells also got the blackout at this stage at Ford . I would think so as it would give the car more finished or presentable look.

For what every reason, doesn't always have to make sense, Ford didn't black out rear wheel wells. Plenty of original pictures with bright light colored rear wheel wells (same goes with Dearborn front wheel wells) showing nice coats of body color visible to anyone to see.

After 50 years most have the paint coat worn or fallen off, at least top layer, covered with dirt and grime from the decades of use.

Looks like allot of body color paint got covered or scrubbed away from the outside surface of that rear frame rail in your picture. Top most picture in your second post
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »
Wow the spray was adjust pretty high up on your car.

For others viewing this IMHO is not typical but as we can see it did take place
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 09:00:37 PM »
Wow the spray was adjust pretty high up on your car.

For others viewing this IMHO is not typical but as we can see it did take place
For clarification to others reading , I believe Jeff is referring to the spray on the rockers on the outside body color. Yes I agree that is very high and would not suggest others (or even owner) doing that for a couple reasons . It was first a unusual spray pattern and two it doesn't look as good IMO with the black out on any surface other the flat portion of the rocker underneath like was typical. As high as that is you could probably see it from the side when viewing. Of course the owner can with his car as he sees fit.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 10:24:31 PM »
Yes was referring to how high the black out was applied up the rocker.

You've done a nice job of documenting what was there originally and would fully support you reproducing what the factory did originally if you choose. If you show the car you will want to introduce the detail during the introduction of the team members and just before the actual judging starts.

If you're reading this thread (others going through similar tasks) and don't have any evidence of this taking place on your specific car then you should choose IMHO what is typical and most common rather than replicate what some will see as an oddity

Jeff Speegle

Offline carm

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 10:08:10 AM »
For clarification to others reading , I believe Jeff is referring to the spray on the rockers on the outside body color. Yes I agree that is very high and would not suggest others (or even owner) doing that for a couple reasons . It was first a unusual spray pattern and two it doesn't look as good IMO with the black out on any surface other the flat portion of the rocker underneath like was typical. As high as that is you could probably see it from the side when viewing. Of course the owner can with his car as he sees fit.

I’ve owned this car since 1989 and had never noticed this high blackout before. We only noticed when reviewing the pictures. I seem to recall however, you guys talking about another car which had this particularity. I was thinking at that point of sending a picture of mine but didn’t. I personally didn’t want to replicate this oddity but wasn’t so sure after that.
Auto

Offline carm

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 12:52:31 PM »
I looked through the forum library for 69 Mustang restoration guide. Fig 10 shows the pinch weld process and we see that it shows the front frame rail and a little of the back frame rail are also illustrated as blacked out. But from your explanations, we should understand that this really shows that the frame rails are illustrated in black to indicate that they may have received a variant amount of pinchweld blackout overspray.
I thank you for help.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 02:35:16 PM by carm »
Auto