Author Topic: brown primer?  (Read 752 times)

Offline big bad blue

brown primer?
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
 My car is a 70 Eliminator built November 11, 1969. Primer is Brown not red. I do remember when I was in High School Brown primer being the norm. When did they switch from red to brown?  Where is the best place to get Brown Primer?
70 Eliminator, dearborn 428 CJ born 11/12/69, auto.

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
Re: brown primer?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
Brown, red?
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 11:02:36 PM »
Given that you have an Eliminator we can conclude that your car was built at Deaborn.

Where did you locate this "primer"?

By 70's the vast majority of coatings that were used in the firewall rearward and firewall forward was a mix of left over paints. The right combination of those could have produced a brown looking coating similar to what your describing (not a full epoxy primer) if enough cars the day/shift or period before your car was coated were painted.

There have been a few red oxide epoxy primer cars documented during 70 Dearborn production but this appears to have been limited and used as a back up when the other process failed for some reason
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline big bad blue

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 05:27:13 PM »
 this is in the interior. The rest of the car is bare metal and I don't have pictures of the front clip right now. The bottom of course was slop gray, which I have matched already. Getting ready to spray that and was checking on the forum for some parameters.
 I will get a picture. But it is Chocolate Malt Brown. Back in high school one of the guys drove a 55 chev in Brown Primer  his whole Senior year, we teased him, the rust won't show anyway. 
 On the 69s I have done, they were more red oxide. That is why I asked if there was a specific time that they went Brown.
70 Eliminator, dearborn 428 CJ born 11/12/69, auto.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 05:44:25 PM »
Yes that is the difference we see at Dearborn in late (some time periods) 69 and 70 in the use of batch colors from the firewall forward areas from below and from the wheel well sides.  Suggest you have a paint of your choice made to match the color you see after you document the color and findings

Have not yet spent as much time studying the 70 Dearborn wheel wells and there are some different and interesting patterns found on unrestored cars that should be investigated more at some time in the future

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 05:47:55 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)