Author Topic: Undercarriage color - 6/28/64 Deaborn  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Kennyc

Undercarriage color - 6/28/64 Deaborn
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »
I have a 64 1/2 D code coupe built 6/28/64. While sanding on the bottom looking for factory markings I noticed that there is a definite paint line where the factory appears to have stopped painting. This line is about a foot inboard from the rocker panels. Did Ford have cars that were only partially painted on the bottom?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:51:06 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Undercarriage color
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 12:41:44 AM »
You "may" be seeing the effects of the black paint used on the pinch weld. Typically, the undercarriage was painted with red primer and the pinch weld was (usually) sprayed mechanically. A picture would help.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 05:13:17 PM »
I have a 64 1/2 D code coupe built 6/28/64. While sanding on the bottom looking for factory markings I noticed that there is a definite paint line where the factory appears to have stopped painting. This line is about a foot inboard from the rocker panels. Did Ford have cars that were only partially painted on the bottom?

First you will find it helpful to include when and where your car was built in every post you make as mentioned in the FAQ. If not your just going to get asked for it over and over. 

Do you happen to have a picture of the area?   Lacking that it sounds like one of the paint jets got plugged so a strip ended up with no or little paint/primer. Not what they wanted and consider a mistake or a flaw. Again just based on your description
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sgl66

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:45:49 PM »
Another guess is that you are seeing body color over spray.

There was 1 car on this site a couple years ago where the floors were bare metal but that was a pretty well documented exception and not the rule. Pictures help a ton
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:14:19 PM »
Another guess is that you are seeing body color over spray.

Guess " only partially painted on the bottom" could refer to overspray since the poster was not really specific about a lot of things
Jeff Speegle

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 12:11:15 AM »
There is a good discussion regarding this at:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8441.0

Per that thread the red oxide primer was applied and then the floor pan was painted with a kind of black color (per the thread).

I have a followup question regarding the under carriage. Where would the red-oxide remain exposed? Would it have been primarily in the drive shaft tunnel and wheel wells? In my case, I have a San Jose built in May of 65.
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974

Offline michaelvonlanthen

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 04:34:25 AM »
This is a undercarriage photo from my July 6 1964 mustang, also D-Code in Guardsman blue. This is how it looked before I bought the car. Hopfully it helps.
Michael Vonlanthen
Switzerland

5F08D189*** - 76A   F   42   06G    75   1   6
Guardsman Blue Convertible with white interior, AT, PB, AC, console, Rally-Pac

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 05:00:57 AM »
There is a good discussion regarding this at:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8441.0

Per that thread the red oxide primer was applied and then the floor pan was painted with a kind of black color (per the thread).

That thread referred to Dearborn production and the red oxide initial comment/question was addressed - and restated as much more likely batch paint.

I have a followup question regarding the under carriage. Where would the red-oxide remain exposed? Would it have been primarily in the drive shaft tunnel and wheel wells? In my case, I have a San Jose built in May of 65.

Rather than mixing different plants and time periods I suggest you ask the question above in a new thread. Given the projected build date of the OP's car it appears it is a Dearborn car

Would ask you to add the question to a prior thread about 65 San Jose undercarriages but could only find on that focuses on Feb 65 cars and they used different paint/primer sealer during that period than yours.

The 65 San Jose Undercarriage article in the Library section may answer some of your questions also

This is a undercarriage photo from my July 6 1964 mustang, also D-Code in Guardsman blue. This is how it looked before I bought the car. Hopfully it helps.

Looks like it may have been repainted or touched up. Unusual to see red oxide around your cars production period, on an early Dearborn car and though difficult to see the dolly mark locations don't appear to be bare metal. Seal sealer across the rear floor is suspect IMHO also shown in the picture

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 05:05:22 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »
Looks like it may have been repainted or touched up. Unusual to see red oxide around your cars production period, on an early Dearborn car and though difficult to see the dolly mark locations don't appear to be bare metal. Seal sealer across the rear floor is suspect IMHO also shown in the picture

Pretty sure that pic is of the car post-restoration and with some miles on it.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »

Plus it is a D code and shouldn't have dual exhaust  ;)
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 12:14:03 PM »

it is a screenshot from the ad when it was for sale in Germany in 2017. Restoration was done ca. 2002/2003 by Ray Coleman, he was a Gold Card Judge for MCA. Unfortunately, I haven't found out the history after that or before restoration. I heard Ray sold the car to a huge Ford dealer in Texas a few years later..
Michael Vonlanthen
Switzerland

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »
Plus it is a D code and shouldn't have dual exhaust  ;)

yes I know, but it helps for a better sound experience ;-) I replaced this one with a period correct dual exhaust from the 64 1/2 K-Code.
Michael Vonlanthen
Switzerland

Offline TonyFio

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 05:37:52 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Didn't realize there was a library. Loads of info to absorb.
Tony Fiorenza
65 Lux Coupe, SJ built, 5/65, owned since 1974