Author Topic: FMX trans question for my Mach 1  (Read 935 times)

Offline HDAshmore

FMX trans question for my Mach 1
« on: September 28, 2019, 12:45:15 AM »
Have a January 70 Dearborn Mach 1 with 351C, 4v with AC and supposed to be AUTO FMX.  original trans gone, looking to find a suitable date correct replacement.  Please see attached pics and tell me wat I am looking at if you can.  I think its a 69 FMX but several different date codes etc...  What should I be looking for my car if this is not right?  Middle pic that is really grimey is 9F25

Thanks,Dan
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:02:38 AM by carlite65 »

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: FMX trans quaestion for my Mach 1
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:37:04 AM »
FMX Tag for your 1970 M code, Mustang should be PHB-P.
Additionally, the manual control shift linkage on the transmission should have the provision for the steering column lock out rod. First year for this, 1969 FMX for Mustang did not.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline cobrajet_carl

Re: FMX trans question for my Mach 1
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 11:19:14 AM »
Have a January 70 Dearborn Mach 1 with 351C, 4v with AC and supposed to be AUTO FMX.  original trans gone, looking to find a suitable date correct replacement.  Please see attached pics and tell me wat I am looking at if you can.  I think its a 69 FMX but several different date codes etc...  What should I be looking for my car if this is not right?  Middle pic that is really grimey is 9F25

Thanks,Dan
Tag is for a 1970 FMX for a 351-2V.  Is there a VIN stamped on it by any chance?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 12:23:38 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 05:06:03 PM »
Thanks all, so I should assume this will not work and would not be internally and externally right for my car because I need a 4V and the shift linkage isn't right even though there is a D0ZA tag on part of the trans.  Would they have used C9 casting until exhausted and although the tag is for a 2v is everything the same externally? Or D0 casting is required?  I want it to be right so should I buy or pass on this one.

Thanks,
Dan

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 07:18:58 PM »
Hi Dan,
     That transmission should have the correct trans linkage and all the correct casting numbers. If I'm not mistaken the only thing that would be different would be the tag# and the valve body calibration. Both 2vv and 4V cars use the same column lock rod and shift rod. The Neutral safety switch is in the shifter on FMX applications so that should have no effect either.

Hope this helps, John

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 01:55:16 AM »
John,

Thanks! 

If I understand right I would need to buy a correct valve body and find or have made a correct tag and all is good?  Do you think the 9E casting date is too far a stretch for a JAN 70 car?  I probably should pick it up as a bird in the hand applies I think. 

I have to call the guy tomorrow so I am grateful for everyone's input.

Dan

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 05:41:53 PM »
Be aware that no one makes a reproduction (that I'm aware of) of the FMX ID tag.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 05:49:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »
Hi Dan,

I think that 9E would be too early for your car, but it might be wise to pick it up if it's not too expensive as it might take a while to hunt down the correct box. It's funny, but the Auto transmissions should be around, but nobody saved them when the scrapped the cars so they can be a lot harder than the corresponding 4 speeds. A good example is the 69 CJ cars, I know of about a dozen RUG AE2 boxes for sale currently, I've come across 1 or 2 Mustang CJ transmissions for sale in the last year or so. The CJ Autos are worth about twice what a 428 4 speed transmission is worth .....

I wouldn't bother changing the valve body as the difference is probably very minor. As Jeff mentioned, nobody reproduced the Transmission tags currently so that's a problem .....

Hope this helps, John

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 09:56:25 PM »
Thanks gentleman, I will see what he wants for it and get it feasible.  I appreciate the sage advice from all!!

Dan