Author Topic: Issues with Tach 1967  (Read 520 times)

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
Issues with Tach 1967
« on: May 16, 2019, 06:19:37 AM »
Hello,
Recently I have changed instrument bezel and glases on my car.

After assembly and starting motor everything worked fine (wiper, lights....)

After switching off motor the tach needle was not returning to zero rpm but stopped at 500 rpm.
The tach itself is working (running up and down).

See pic.

Anything I could do here by myself to re-adjust (to avoid sending the tach to tachman for instance)?

Thx for your feedback.

Ralf
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Issues with Tach 1967
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 01:27:05 PM »
Did you by chance happen to do anything to the needle (paint, remove for cleaning or the likes) while cleaning things up? It may be possible to mis-align the needle. Check the tach accuracy (using another tachometer tied into the system, installed under the hood at the ignition coil) and see if it is off equally through various engine speeds, this may help with the diagnosis.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:41:09 PM »
Did you by chance happen to do anything to the needle (paint, remove for cleaning or the likes) while cleaning things up? It may be possible to mis-align the needle. Check the tach accuracy (using another tachometer tied into the system, installed under the hood at the ignition coil) and see if it is off equally through various engine speeds, this may help with the diagnosis.

No, did not clean anything up by purpose, it was basically no need to do so. Don't have another tach to try your suggestion. However, I'll go to take out bezel again and to check needle postion may be to be changed slightly. Don't know if its possible to pull off needle easily.
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
Analog tach and dwell meters are a tune-up "MUST HAVE" for points systems. Maybe hunt for an eBay auction, they are usually there and very affordable. If you do not get instructions with the tool, there are many of us who know how to hook these up at the coil ('points' side) that can help you out. Even if you have the factory tach, often they can be off by a few hundred RPM's so it helps. It also helps having the tach under the hood during making the tune-up adjustments for cold and warm weather variations.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments