Author Topic: Correct finish for rear tie-down plates and bolts.  (Read 4922 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct finish for rear tie-down plates and bolts.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 09:44:15 PM »
Correction to my earlier post (reminded by a close friend ;)  The reproduction tie downs are of the typical NJ and Dearborn version. Normally San Jose supplier produced them where the bottom two corners are fairly square verses very rounded. Angle of the posted picture appears to make the angle appear more rounded. Will search for some better pictures to illustrate the differences - changed earlier post to reflect this ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gimpystoy

Re: Correct finish and dia., length for rear tie-down plates bolts. 67 ?
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 01:37:09 PM »
 What is dia, length and correct finish foe  tie down plates fasteners.? 67 Metuchen. I've seen the previous posts gibing a variety  of finish responses.

I'vecome across one plate in my cache of take off stuff.
Y,
Gimpy
67 C code Metuchen, May "67" build 289 C4

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 04:02:53 PM »
What is dia, length and correct finish foe  tie down plates fasteners.? 67 Metuchen. I've seen the previous posts gibing a variety  of finish responses.

I'vecome across one plate in my cache of take off stuff.
Y,
Gimpy
There are plates used on single exhaust cars typically short and another type for duel exhaust cars (long) . The ones used in Dearborn or Metuchen are typically seen in bare metal. The SJ ones are typically black. SJ is typically square corner and Dearborn and Metuchen rounded corner .At least on the longer duel exhaust versions. Hardware was typically S2 with other examples that had S8 nuts . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 08:35:10 PM »
The hardware used for tie down plates was almost anything that fit. The bolts were 7/16-18 x 2 1/2 long, hex, probably the same that were used for engine to transmission mounting. The nuts were generic, a washer may or may not have been used. It was a haphazard installation. The finish varied from natural to zinc to phosphate to early American rust. Remember, the tie downs were supposed to be returned to the assembly plant for re-use. A lot weren't.
If you choose to add tie downs, I would recommend the bolts be clean, and either natural or phosphate. Nuts "could" be clear zinc plated as that finish was common on many 7/16 nuts. Phosphated nuts were also used. Make sure they are all the same. Don't upset the judge inspecting the undercarriage.
Look in the library, "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets - 67/68", by application, under description "Shipping Tie Down Plates".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 08:42:30 PM »

I believe that they likely didn't reuse the mounting hardware and it was not returned on a regular basis to the plants anyway. Difficult enough to get dealers to pay and return the hold downs.

I've never measure the length of the bolts but pretty sure the people assigned to supplying the bolts to the plant, those responsible for supplying the line and those installing them had a specific bolts specified for this purpose just like they did other items.

Will check and see how many pictures I have of 67 NJ examples so we may possibly confirm  what was used. Stay tuned :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
Pictures (not as nice and clear as I would like) of two examples from NJ from the 7T130xxx-7T1558xx period

Happen to be both single and dual exhaust
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 08:09:24 PM »
As I said -
The finish varied from natural to zinc to phosphate to early American rust.
That being said, the nuts in the second picture appear to be of the Stover type lock nut (see 55675-S) or of the high hex cone type (see 34978-S), ref AMK Guide To Ford Fasteners.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.