Author Topic: Feb 1965 San Jose K code - Where do I find pictures on the site?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline MustangAndFairlane1867

I just got my car's HiPo motor back from the machine shop and we're assembling it on a stand in my friend's shop.  We're shooting for a concourse-correct assembly (car is from San Jose with scheduled build of 2.16.1965) and want to confirm several things that some good pictures from different angles will confirm.  For example, what is the correct routing of the steel fuel line from fuel pump to carb (I've seen several different bends/shapes as this line "snakes" around the back of the distributor); whether or not the HiPo carb uses the 1" spacer I see on non-HiPo 289s; did my motor use a PCV valve and where are the connections made on each end of the molded (?) rubber hose, and etc.  If anyone can supply, or at least point me toward, several pictures of a concourse-correct '65 Hi-Po motor, it would be a huge leg-up for us in the assembly process.  Thank you in advance for any help!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:17:33 AM by CharlesTurner »

Offline jwc66k

Re: Where do I find pictures on the site?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
Here's a couple. They are 66 HP engines, but there is little difference except paint color. The current "philosophy" is to allow over spray on the exhaust manifolds. That's over spray is good up until the time you fire up the engine. Then you get burnt over spray.
If you can find a copy, get "The 289 High Performance Mustang" (4th ed) by Tony Gregory. It's a good starting place.
Jim
Add one more.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:52:04 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Fed 1965 San Jose K code - Where do I find pictures on the site?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:40:01 PM »
Using the search feature would likely be the first step.

Another place to check is the unrestored section of the site.  Consider that even the unrestored cars shown can have been altered by prior owners so compare as many as possible front he same plant and time period. Also remember many restored cars will have details that don't always replicate the details fully or correctly. May also have been built many years ago.

Then follow (if you don't find what your looking for) ask the question by starting a thread specifically on what your looking for help with. Try and keep the number of questions in one post or thread - related and to only a couple at a time because the more asked the more likely one or more may get skipped over

No easy button as we say.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 06:42:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 07:15:11 PM »
Think I see three specific needs in your original post. All appear to be generic (all plants) questions since these items were all installed at the engine plant not at the car plants

- What is the correct routing of the steel fuel line from fuel pump to carb? 

Since your car would have a filter at the pump you would have a solid (threaded fitting to carb front bowl surface) rather than the 66 fuel filter there.

Here is a picture on an engine from around that period

Another from 5R1637xx

Close up of bend - ignore the owner painted the intake blue

- Does a HiPo carb on an original Feb 65 built car uses the 1" spacer I see on non-HiPo 289s?

Yes

From same blue painted engine example above. Likely the engine may have been rebuilt so spacer doesn't have much of the original black paint left on it as it would ahve had originally. Carb finishes are well worn - long gone

Painted spacer on this example and others

- Did same use a PCV valve and where are the connections made on each end of the molded (?) rubber hose?

Molded hose from carb base spacer to the PCV valve in the passenger side valve cover  (rear top). Uses spring clamps at both ends and the molded hose has Ford markings inked on the exterior surface of the rubber

You can see the routing and some of the details in a picture thread in the Library

Sub-Assembly & Supply Plants »Topic: Late 65 Production Year - Cleveland Engine Assembly Plant Picture & Discussion

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 04:01:02 PM »
When two different situations arise, I tend to review my sources, in this case the HP Mustang book (listed above) and "Mustang and Ford Small Block V8" (Bob Mannell). There are some conflicts in fuel line routing shown in both. One showed the in front of the distributor but was a "proto-type" HP engine (it had a vacuum advance distributor as well, very proto-type), another was a general statement the the front routing was used in early 65 for 289 V8's but no mention of HP uses. Still another said it was a HP engine on a Fairlane, others showed fuel line routing but the pictures were dedicated to water pump changes. Even in the Mannel book's HP section, there are pictures of the routeings in front and behind the distributor for 65.
I'm glad I have a 66 "K".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 02:47:20 PM »
When two different situations arise, I tend to review my sources, in this case the HP Mustang book (listed above) and "Mustang and Ford Small Block V8" (Bob Mannell). There are some conflicts in fuel line routing shown in both. One showed the in front of the distributor but was a "proto-type" HP engine (it had a vacuum advance distributor as well, very proto-type), another was a general statement the the front routing was used in early 65 for 289 V8's but no mention of HP uses. Still another said it was a HP engine on a Fairlane, others showed fuel line routing but the pictures were dedicated to water pump changes. Even in the Mannel book's HP section, there are pictures of the routeings in front and behind the distributor for 65.
I'm glad I have a 66 "K".
Jim

Yes some details can get confusing especially if you look across 50 years of documentation related to many different engines and applications.  One reason I'm happy I collected and continue collecting original period pictures and unrestored cars as much as possible.
Jeff Speegle