Author Topic: Opinion on Cobra Medallion placement  (Read 2185 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Opinion on Cobra Medallion placement
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 03:18:37 PM »
The O.P. asked only if it should go above or below the other emblem. The O.P. did not ask for other thoughts or ideas.

The O.P. (wisely) mentioned they would be using 3M two sided tape so that  if or when they wished to take it off, it would not leave any marks.

To me it's like sticking any such item on YOUR car. Do it, if it makes you happy and disregard other people's objections.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bglover67

• 1965 Factory GT Convertible
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2019, 08:35:40 AM »
I'm actually getting a kick out of all the responses about this completely reversible detail.  Yes, this is the Concours Mustang Forum, but I chose to post it here because I like and respect the guys who run this place (Charles and Jeff).  If I had asked how many points can I expect to lose in MCA judging if the medallion is in the wrong place, then I would totally deserve to be flamed of course.  This is one of the true 'Day 2' mods that was commonly installed on these cool cars. 

I just spent the last year tracking down date correct carbs, fuel pumps, Hipo exhaust manifolds and much more for an early double digit '67 GT350, so I'm not getting as hung up on that level of detail for this car.  Although it's a factory GT and I have it's original  and complete drivetrain, it also has a fuel injected 347 stroker/5 speed under the hood installed by the last owner.  It 'resembles' a stock engine (barely), but the almost 500 hp drive is so much fun, you can't help but have a smile from ear to ear when you sit behind the wheel.

So I'm sorry if I wasted everyone's time on this, but one thing I'm sure of is that you all love Mustangs, and that's why I asked you in the first place.

Oh, I also remembered that Brant (Virginia Classic Mustang) restored a '65 'K' code convertible detailed on their blog a few years ago which had the medallions installed below.   He mentions that these medallions were included as a pair in the engine induction kits available from Ford.  If you thought it looked busy under my 289 badge, check it out under the Hipo badge, lol.

http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/2011/08/cobra-emblem.html

And another 'K' code fastback with an unusual Cobra medallion.  Has anyone seen these before?

http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/173-0310-1965-ford-mustang-hi-po-rare-classic-car/

And another:

https://mycarboard.com/product/amazing-1965-ford-mustang-gt-1965-mustang-gt-fastback-k-code-289-high-performance-2018-2019/

Sincerely,

Brian

SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Offline TJinSA

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »
No waste of my time; but I see the purist side of ths forum.  That unusual cobra emblem was on the earliest cobras, and I think quite rare.  A great conversation piece!

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 02:15:43 PM »
No waste of my time; but I see the purist side of ths forum.  That unusual cobra emblem was on the earliest cobras, and I think quite rare.  A great conversation piece!

The second and third versions of S1CS-B COBRA mascot emblem (approximately 2-9/16" OD) are not that rare. The Shelby parts department carried the second and third versions as accessories and spare parts at least into 1968.  The 2-9/16" family of parts was not on the earliest Cobras. The first batches left England with two different AC Cars emblems; same as the Ruddspeed Ford powered ACEs used. The earliest cars were finished in Hugus' shop and got the more or less oval "SHELBY AC COBRA" emblems. The last part number Shelby used for the "SHELBY AC COBRA" parts was S1CS-19523-A. The two AC Cars ACE emblems never had Shelby numbers assigned that I have ever found. 

The S1CS-19523-B family of three version was therefore the third design of mascot emblem the earliest Cobra received counting AC Cars versions.

Rarity. 
Most of the S1CS-19523-B versions 2 and 3 emblems I have been able to purchase came in a COBRA induction kit and  were never used, purchased by a Cobra owner before 1969 and never installed, or were the left overs split up among Cobra parts dealers in California after Shelby closed the west coast business.  In relative terms there are quite a few second and third version parts in somebody’s display or parts collection.  Cobra owners hunting one or two usually find new old stock ones to buy.

The rarest mascot emblem to get included in COBRA induction kits was the S1CS-19523-C part installed on Cobras CSX2133 and later. Most of the ones we have found for restorations were in pairs in original envelopes that came in induction kit packages that the kit user did not install.

The S1CS-19523-C piece for Cobras was itself replaced by the Ford contracted C3RA-14225-A for 427 Cobras. Large numbers of them went in pairs included in some Cobra kits. Large numbers of them were sold as accessories. Of all the production emblems to get included in COBRA kits of any kind were these last to the party pieces.  C3RA-14225-A parts became, in addition to being a 427 production part, the service replacement for all Cobras.  In relative terms new old stock and new old replacement stock emblems via Ford are not rare. What is rare are ones made during the production time period that have much better quality in general than any later parts.  As the mold wore the part appearance suffered. Later parts often have a variety of casting flaws like areas that did not fill out completely.  Very late parts often didn’t have the casting flash completely removed before plating.  Very late parts sometimes don’t have every color of background paint completely covering the background.  (Said another way, late made parts can have so many small defects you might think they were a poor quality reproduction.)

So, so many of the new old stock production run time frame emblems were have come up with restorations of original Cobras and 427 Cobras were parts from a COBRA kit that didn’t get installed in the 1960s.

See also images posted in Reply #22
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19638.15
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:42:21 PM by Dan Case »
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.