Author Topic: 1968 instrument bezel  (Read 756 times)

Offline beatlemike

1968 instrument bezel
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:02:12 AM »
Has anyone had problems reinstalling the instrument bezel on a '68? I replaced the lenses and the bezel and now I'm trying to put it back in the car, The right side goes in without much issue but the left side is hitting something and it's about 1/2" away from seating correctly. I know the two electrical blocks are on that side so maybe one of them is getting pinched. (That's just a guess on my part).
Any ideas?

Mike

68 Dearborn plant

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1968 instrument bezel
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 12:34:27 AM »
The dash pad often shrinks making it difficult to install the bezel. You might try some heat on it to make it softer giving you a bit more room. 

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 01:03:44 AM »
My nos bezel has a section that sticks out, where the original didnt have it. I havent yet got my dremel onto it but i believe that is the only thing fouling it. It could be to do with different  instrumentation configs and the one that needs more plastic in that area was the one they reproduced or used as a service replacement.

Ill compare them side by side. Or you can do similar with old and new.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 01:06:43 AM by tim_morrison82 »
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:05:22 AM »
 Oh. I was talking about fitting the bezel back on to the cluster. Fitting it to the dash may be something else.
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 10:30:03 AM »
I recall some of those having some molding sprigs on the back that need to be trimmed off

Offline beatlemike

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »
You're right about attaching the bezel to the cluster. On the Scott Drake repo, there are three posts that must be removed. Two of them will prevent you from seating the clock lens to the bezel and the third will prevent you from seating the bezel to the cluster. Your Dremel tool (with a sanding attachment) is the solution. My concern is referring to reinstalling the completed bezel/cluster assembly back into the dash. It may be a slightly warped dash pad on the left side causing the issue or something behind the left side that's getting pinched.

Mike

68 Dearborn plant

Offline beatlemike

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 03:55:47 PM »
I solved the issue thanks to the suggestion by Ruppstang. The dashpad had indeed warped slightly. Instead of heat, I used a bar clamp (with the big yellow feet) and hooked one side of the clamp to the "A" pillar and the other side to the dashpad. I was able to squeeze it enough to pull the dash pad back a little and wrestle the bezel/cluster into position. It took some muscle but it finally seated correctly.

A happy ending thanks to Ruppstang.

Mike
'68 coupe Dearborn

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »
RE: Shrunken dashpad issues with the cluster, I've lowered the steering column down & tipped the Cluster in under the pad before. I lived in the So. Calif Dessert area and had this issue on almost every car I worked on.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments