Author Topic: 1968 FB rear trim fasteners around trap door  (Read 391 times)

Offline Gbailey1018

1968 FB rear trim fasteners around trap door
« on: March 16, 2022, 08:08:21 PM »
Can anyone please provide specific guidance on which of these are fasteners (rivets?) and which are bumpers?

I believe the red ones are supposed to be rivets and the yellow ones rubber bumpers, but it would be great to confirm. 

Further, any info on the specific rivet size and part number for the bumpers would be much appreciated.

I tried looking through all of my assembly guides and books but couldn't find any info.  I also looked through the unrestored photo thread.

Thank you.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 FB rear trim fasteners around trap door
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 08:20:55 PM »
Looking at the 68 fastback pictures in the unrestored pictures you can make out (trunk area of the car) a few examples. The bumpers appear to be where you have located them on you rposted picture

Pictures - T3 & T4 in Mid-year 68 J Code San Jose Fastback thread is the first one I pulled up
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Gbailey1018

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 06:21:17 AM »
Thanks.  I saw those pics as well but my eyes are pretty bad so I wasn't sure what I was seeing.  Happy to hear you feel I have the bumpers identified for the right holes.

Would anyone be able to provide a part number for either the rivets or the rubber bumpers?  If no part number exists for the rivets, does anyone know what size rivets were used?  I tried using rivets I had on hand but they were too small to cover the fiberglass holes.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 01:11:05 PM »
While you are in that area perhaps repair the pulled through screws on the top panel and remove the chrome counter sunk washers.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 01:37:27 PM »
While you are in that area perhaps repair the pulled through screws on the top panel and remove the chrome counter sunk washers.
+1 . Basically tape the back side of hole ,JB weld ,sand both sides,re drill ,repaint and install then it will like it never happened.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby