Author Topic: Drivers Side Front Inner Apron/Panel Change - 69 Dearborn Non-Boss 429  (Read 1308 times)

Offline AJ

NOTE: This thread was split from another discussion so that if could get more discussion, focus and to be easier to find in the future.

Hmmm.  I’ve got a Feb 26 build date that needs drivers apron.  Wondering if ribbed apron would be acceptable for my build date?  (PO replaced original with ribbed version so I’ve got no reference). :-\ .  Not planning to show car but wanna get it right.  Is there a strong opinion either way (flat vs ribbed) for my build date ?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:01:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Drivers Side Front Inner Apron/Panel Change - 69 Dearborn Non-Boss 429
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 05:46:11 PM »
Meant to delete my post since I thought AJ was asking about fenders and that lip rather than the inner fender panels/aprons.   In the process I deleted Bob's response = really sorry  :-[

Was able to back up and at least capture so here it is below

When did Dearborn switch from flat driver side fender apron to ribbed version ?

Bob Gaines responded

I believe it was March 69 on the Ford assemblyline. It has been speculated that the extra strength gussets added by Ford may have had to do with items attached to the apron like B2 rev limitors etc. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:01:54 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 05:59:47 PM »
Hmmm.  I’ve got a Feb 26 build date that needs drivers apron.  Wondering if ribbed apron would be acceptable for my build date?  (PO replaced original with ribbed version so I’ve got no reference). :-\ .  Not planning to show car but wanna get it right.  Is there a strong opinion either way (flat vs ribbed) for my build date ?

Looked at my stuff and your car is right in there with the change over.  I take it that Feb 26 is the cars true build date - just confirming :)

In my records the latest unribbed 69 Dearborn I have was built (real date) on March 15th and the earliest I have for a ribbed panel is March 31 (real date)    

UPDATED 7/9/2023

From cars we have real completion dates on from Dearborn the last (that I have records and pictures of) was completed March 25th and the earliest completed car with a ribbed panel is March 31st.

Do have examples of six cars with lower VINs than the March 31st example but we don't have real completion dates for those cars. All six could have been built after the 31st or between the 25th and the 31st. We just don't know currently.

Of course its not so much about then the car was built but when the panel was stamped and since this change did not require any other panel or part change it could have been a soft (no specific need on a specific date) change over rather than a hard change over.

Since that particular spreadsheet hasn't been updated recently I think I'll spend a couple of hours adding in newer info and cross referencing it with the panel date code spreadsheet to see if I can add anything. Will report back.

I will also likely split this discussion - since it's about a specific different topic and place it in the 69-70 sections so more can benefit from it and find it easier in the future.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 04:59:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 07:19:31 PM »
For reference this is the panel and the differences between the two panels.

Earlier no Rib version

Later Ribbed version

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:02:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 08:01:03 PM »
Ok updated my spreadsheet and can offer the following

Mustang/Shelby with the latest real build date with the non-ribbed panel was finished on March 25th 1969

The Mustang/Shelby with the earliest real build date with a ribbed panel was finished at Dearborn on March 31st 1969.

So looks like somewhere in during the last week of March 69 production may be the change over period. As mentioned above if this is a soft change over the range could be wider but at this time we can't be sure.

Do have a half dozen or so cars with lower VIN's than the 25th built car with ribs but have no real build dates for those cars 

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:02:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline AJ

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 12:28:51 AM »
Thanks for researching.  Appears plausible my Feb 26 (actual build date) originally had a flat drivers apron.   I assume a flat apron replacement panel more difficult to find.  Now wondering if only path is to locate a donor car with flat apron...or rather is it posssible to modify/remove the ribs to create a flat apron ?

I really appreciate the help here.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:02:22 PM by J_Speegle »
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline specialed

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 09:37:34 AM »
Jeff i think u may want to add (excluding 69 boss 429). Every 69 boss 429 i have seen had the smooth front lh apron & i think that being the b9 shock towers & rails were all preassembled early on when ford started making b9s the only apron available then was the early flat smooth type. I have seen & documented 2  early 70 b9s (including one in the shop now) that still had a 69 type smooth lh apron probly just got mixed up in the dearborn assembly plant.   Documenting original front aprons on a b9 is easy because they have serial #s stamped in the far front of the aprons. I always thought the smooth apron changover happened about the same time as the cowl blackout & was more of a 69 b2 thing because of the added rev limiter & blackout hood treatment but it may just be a coincidence as i have never seen anything in writing to document this having anything to do with the new 69 1/2 coming out in early april 69
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:02:30 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 03:57:39 PM »
Jeff i think u may want to add (excluding 69 boss 429).................

Thanks for reminding me. Done ;)

.................. I always thought the smooth apron changover happened about the same time as the cowl blackout & was more of a 69 b2 thing because of the added rev limiter & blackout hood treatment but it may just be a coincidence as i have never seen anything in writing to document this having anything to do with the new 69 1/2 coming out in early April 69

Yes based on findings and data they are close but they don't align based on what I've collected from Dearborn examples
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:06:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline tobkob

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 08:54:46 PM »
If it is any help, 69 GT350 #2060, April 7th build date has the ribbed panel and no blackout.

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 05:20:33 PM »
If it is any help, 69 GT350 #2060, April 7th build date has the ribbed panel and no blackout.

TOB

Thanks - know it already in my spreadsheet I believe
Jeff Speegle