Author Topic: 67 - 2A Interior Question  (Read 977 times)

Offline Juanball Mustang

67 - 2A Interior Question
« on: January 01, 2019, 07:14:14 AM »
My 67 coupe has a trim code of 2A on the door tag . Does this denote standard trim or black trim ?
It has a deluxe interior , floor console , brushed dash & door trims , door grilles , hard back seats with chrome inserts.  Thought a deluxe interior would have a different code . I know a Marti Report will explain all but thought I'd throw it up here first
Aussie Ash
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 02:48:36 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gta289

Re: 67 - 2A Interior Question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:38:34 AM »
Does this denote standard trim or black trim ?

The answer is yes.

Is it standard? yes. Does it have black (dash) trim (as opposed to brushed aluminum)? yes.  I am assuming you were talking about the dash when you mentioned black trim, as opposed to some sort of two tone vinyl covers for the seats.

2A is black standard.  Black interior decor, also referred to as "luxury" and "deluxe" is code 6A.  The interior decor option added aluminum trim on dash panels and doors, hard front seat back covers with chrome inserts, door light and grille, and roof console (on fastback/coupe).  Note that the floor console was not part of the interior decor option, it was a separate option.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 02:48:42 PM by J_Speegle »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

Re: Standard trim
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 10:23:26 AM »
Besides what 67Ggta289 said I would add your door tag would say 65B under the body if it were a deluxe interior. Most likely it will say 65A or standard interior.

Offline Juanball Mustang

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 02:06:55 PM »
The plot thickens,
 Body code is 65A . It has brushed aluminium dash and door trims as mentioned . No roof console.
Am 99% sure the interior is original  . Door grilles have lights and square holes for the mounting clips , which makes me think they haven't been added post factory.
 So you're saying the trim code should be 6A given the deluxe features ? Could the mentioned deluxe features be ordered seperatly without the complete deluxe items ? That would explain no roof console and standard trim code . It's an October 66 build , don't know if that makes any difference .
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 02:48:49 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 02:38:34 PM »
The plot thickens,

Or your discovering more things that don't fit :)

Body code is 65A . It has brushed aluminium dash and door trims as mentioned . No roof console.
Am 99% sure the interior is original  . Door grilles have lights and square holes for the mounting clips , which makes me think they haven't been added post factory.
 So you're saying the trim code should be 6A given the deluxe features ?

Not sure how your determining that the interior is original. Have you compared the date codes on the seat springs, seat upholstery, door panels and the like. Very common for Mustangs in their early years  (late 70s- 80's) to be upgraded by their owners using original interiors from donor cars. For 67-8 the clue is that they often didn't add the roof console since whom ever removed the parts typically forgot to grab the brackets that made the installation possible on the other car.

If your thinking that its original just based on the effort it would take to add or modify the car to do something let me offer some experience and suggest that you don't underestimate what an owner will do to get what they wanted. Someone will do almost anything, even illogical, silly or stupid efforts. Have plenty of observations and eye witness stories ;)

Thing your find (using the search feature) threads related to the inclusion of the door grills with the radio option. Might even have swapped doors from a donor car that came with the door grills and or maybe the complete interior

Could the mentioned deluxe features be ordered separately without the complete deluxe items ?

No, the deluxe interior came as a package. Allowing the separate ordering of individual parts in general would defeat the offering of the complete package.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 02:53:30 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 03:28:08 PM »
The very easy answer here is Marti Report. I am willing to bet it is not original.

Offline Juanball Mustang

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:10:36 PM »
Marti it is , one last question
Without the deluxe interior option the only way to get factory installed door grilles was if the 8 track was ordered ?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 05:08:55 PM »
Without the deluxe interior option the only way to get factory installed door grilles was if the 8 track was ordered ?

That is correct.  The grilles were used to cover the speakers.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 07:07:29 PM »

That is correct.  The grilles were used to cover the speakers.

As you mentioned the door grilles AND door mounted courtesy lights are on the doors, you may wish to look at the date codes of those doors. As Jeff pointed out, it is possible they were part of the interior installation. The tough decision would be trying to un-do the upgrade to be Concours while likewise it may be difficult to complete the 'swap' the way the factory would have done it.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:20:35 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 09:02:53 PM »

To be totally correct, "...the only way to get factory installed door grills was if the AM - 8 Track was ordered". The Hang-On 8 Track was only available as an Accessory.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909