Author Topic: 1970 Scissor Jack and Lug Wrench Color  (Read 1328 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

1970 Scissor Jack and Lug Wrench Color
« on: December 29, 2018, 01:44:00 AM »
 I have seen several articles on the scissor jacks indicating they are dipped black (some also painted) but no real mention of whether the black color is gloss or semi gloss, can someone please advise.
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1970 Scissor Jack and Lug Wrench Color
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 04:52:02 PM »
I have seen several articles on the scissor jacks indicating they are dipped black (some also painted) but no real mention of whether the black color is gloss or semi gloss, can someone please advise.
More on the glossy side of semi gloss but not a full gloss black from what I have seen. Based on the many NOS and original unrestored units I have had to compare to over the years . I think that there is a lot of room for variation . Others may have a different opinion.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 06:25:01 PM »
Much appreciated Bob thanks, yes your investigation and assumptions seem pretty much spot on, mine was a little more on the glossy side but not bright, and is why I asked because of its age, condition etc. and I want to restore it to a more unused condition as the paint has definitely got a little beat up over the years.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:28:17 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 06:34:11 PM »
Much appreciated Bob thanks, yes your investigation and assumptions seem pretty much spot on, mine was a little more on the glossy side but not bright, and is why I asked because of its age, condition etc. and I want to restore it to a more unused condition as the paint has definitely got a little beat up over the years.

Not sure if you have seen this; http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/mustang_jack_identification_guide_v1.3.pdf

If you have...sorry. Just try to help.

John

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 07:50:08 PM »
Yes no problem, a great piece of information, but it does not define the specific color of black only how it was applied. I actually used this article to ensure my jack and lug wrench where the correct ones for my car and date coded correctly, you never know if they got changed out at some time before you acquire the car and I have had this one for over 30 years.

Online jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 07:39:43 PM »
In general, semi-gloss black paint was the color of choice on surfaces not normally visible. When an item was dipped in semi-gloss black paint, it usually was a bit glossier than if the same paint was sprayed. That's conventional wisdom. Semi-gloss varied from 20 percent to 80 percent gloss - 20, 40, 60, 80 percent increments with flat and full gloss at either end (that's my paint guys capability). If you cannot dip the jack, find a paint vendor that can make a batch of no more than 40 percent gloss for spay gun use.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 08:08:30 PM »
Thanks for the input Jim much appreciated, I won't be dipping so will need to mix and will try your recommendations regarding gloss mix. I initially tried a semi-gloss and it did not look right and again agree with Bob the glossier side of semi seems about right.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 08:11:58 PM by 1970 Snake »

Offline Wills70

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 11:09:08 AM »
Was the jack dipped before or after assembly of the threaded lead screw ?  My jack did not show signs of paint on the screw , it also shown its age
Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »
Was the jack dipped before or after assembly of the threaded lead screw ?  My jack did not show signs of paint on the screw , it also shown its age
Dearborn
I have seen many both ways with some jacks dipped with the threaded drive installed and some were not . I haven't correlated enough information to give a definitive reason why on each. Maybe others have.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 07:08:08 PM »
I have notice on the ones that had the drive screw dipped that it was not done completely leaveing the head and a portion of the shaft with no paint. Most likely held by the end while dipping.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 07:33:05 PM »
Dearborn

Not certain of the Dearborn supplier and you didn't mention the year your focusing on. The vast majority I've seen and believe were still in the original paint were painted without the threaded portion in place during the application.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Wills70

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 09:13:59 PM »
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread ,but referring to the 70 jack. Mine is the 2ND Gen in reference to Anghel factoids ,and they discuss the painting procedures you have mentioned. I just brought this detail up so anybody restoring their jack can achieve concours results