Author Topic: December 1964 San Jose Underside Colors  (Read 889 times)

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
December 1964 San Jose Underside Colors
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »
I wanted to share some pictures of a Dec '64 San Jose built car as it is being documented for restoration.

As you can see, the body color is white. There is a tremendous amount of white overspray on the underside. Even the inboard side of the frame rails received the white overspray.

The underside is black with a good amount of gloss. Underside of front frame rails show the original red sealer.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: December 1964 San Jose Underside Colors
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 11:33:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  The Feb '65 San Jose K convertible I restored was the same.  Didn't see as much body color over-spray since it was a darker color car. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »
Brant,

My Oct of 64 showed red oxide as well forward of the firewall.  The rear was not as black as seen in the pictures in this thread:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15308.45
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline Brant

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
Brant,

My Oct of 64 showed red oxide as well forward of the firewall.  The rear was not as black as seen in the pictures in this thread:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15308.45

Thanks, Chris.

Did you find as much body color overspray as shown in my pictures?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
Thanks Brant - fits right in the range of that floor coating change as expected. The high contrast white and the careful cleaning sure stands out in this example

That last one I cleaned the floor of looked bark/very dark but the difference stood out well after I cut down to the base coat and laid a black painted panel next for comparison.  Oct 64 San Jose also. This time period appears from examples as the first month the color was used and changed from the more typical earlier and later red oxide colors applied at San Jose
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:48:40 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Brant

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 06:34:22 PM »
I think everyone understands, but just to clarify, the spot in the transmission tunnel and there at the rear that don't have the white overspray was cleaned intentionally to reveal the black base. It's definitely black, not really charcoal or gray. Of course, there are lots of variations of black.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 07:14:51 PM »
I think everyone understands, but just to clarify, the spot in the transmission tunnel and there at the rear that don't have the white overspray was cleaned intentionally to reveal the black base. It's definitely black, not really charcoal or gray. Of course, there are lots of variations of black.

Haven't seen this car so can't comment on it - just sharing what I've found on other Oct built San Jose cars. Of course we could be describing the same thing/look/finish in different ways ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)