Author Topic: 66 HiPo air filter base date code stamp question?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Morsel

66 HiPo air filter base date code stamp question?
« on: October 18, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
Hi all,

I searched and can't seem to find a definitive answer. My car is a 1966 February 10th San Jose HiPo car. I'm wondering if all the air cleaner bases were date code stamped, I've seen threads on the subject but some say no stamp and some say were stamped. I know it should have the closed emission tube which mine does, but no date code stamp. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline jwc66k

Re: 66 HiPo air filter base date code stamp question?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »
Jason,
The simple answer is yes. Mine is stamped on the bottom outside flat near the PCV fitting. It's "5A", January 1965, on an October 65 build. Here's the complications. From the date codes that have been documented, Ford evidently ordered a lot of HP air cleaners in anticipation of a lot of sales. The sale forecasts were overly optimistic and a lot of HP parts sat on the shelf.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 02:55:00 PM »
Mine has no date stamp.

Were the air cleaners added at the Cleveland plant or shipped separately to the 3 assembly lines?

Edit: I vaguely recall there was a thread somewhere about how the PVC tube was attached to the base and may have varied by year or manufacturer?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 04:01:45 PM by sglbbs »
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 03:37:53 PM »
Were the air cleaners added at the Cleveland plant or shipped separately to the 3 assembly lines?

Engines were shipped to the car assembly plants (as shown in those pictures we purchased for the site and posted here) without the air cleaners.  Those were sent to the car assembly plants by the providers/maker
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 03:47:25 PM »
So if "all" air cleaner bases were stamped with a date code, what do all these people have that say theirs in not stamped but original to the car, do we think they are service replacements or repros? Or do we think some slipped through without date code stamps?

Just curious and will go with whatever I'm supposed...

The next question is what would be a correct date code range for my car (Feb 10th 1966 San Jose) with what Jim said about that massive order of air cleaners?

Thanks,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline sgl66

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 04:07:54 PM »
So if "all" air cleaner bases were stamped with a date code, what do all these people have that say theirs in not stamped but original to the car, do we think they are service replacements or repros? Or do we think some slipped through without date code stamps?
See the pic I added to my previous post. This was discussed somewhere in the past but I forget the details.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 04:36:50 PM »
See the pic I added to my previous post. This was discussed somewhere in the past but I forget the details.

Hey sglbbs, I'm confused, what does that picture have to do with my question about the date code, not sure I understand, or am I missing something? I do know about the emission tube differences based on previous conversations.

Thanks,

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 05:20:20 PM »
The next question is what would be a correct date code range for my car (Feb 10th 1966 San Jose) with what Jim said about that massive order of air cleaners?

Based solely on the dates that have popped up/been documented over the last 30 or so years the general thought is that they bases were stamped in batches and not produced as often as the more common (higher demand) air cleaners.  Have seen 5A, 6A, 6C, 7A, 7C. I would look for a 6A but at this time would not rule out a 5A though it might get questioned - just based on things.

Here is the other thread that may be the one mentioned above.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=16363.msg102428#msg102428
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »
Based solely on the dates that have popped up/been documented over the last 30 or so years the general thought is that they bases were stamped in batches and not produced as often as the more common (higher demand) air cleaners.  Have seen 5A, 6A, 6C, 7A, 7C. I would look for a 6A but at this time would not rule out a 5A though it might get questioned - just based on things.

Here is the other thread that may be the one mentioned above.

Ahh yes, I remember this thread when that part was on ebay... thanks as always Jeff for the info, now I just have to find one ;)

Thanks,

Jason

Offline sgl66

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 06:47:34 PM »
Hey sglbbs, I'm confused, what does that picture have to do with my question about the date code, not sure I understand, or am I missing something? I do know about the emission tube differences based on previous conversations.

Thanks,

Jason
Jeff found the thread I was thinking of. Thanks Jeff

The point about date codes is assuming that “all” had them may not be correct. In that thread, Bob references seeing 3 different styles which means they were not all stamped the same. Jim has the same base as I do and can trace his back 20 years, I can trace mine back almost 40. An air cleaner base isn’t a part I would expect previous owners to replace but who knows

A couple other things to consider, what would a 65 Hipo built in December 64 use for a base if the earliest date seen is 5A? It also seems strange that a 66 batch would be stamped in January (A) and then a next batch in March (C) and why would that pattern repeat in 67? Seems strange and makes me wonder if A and C are even date codes? ...I’m going back to the grassy knoll now

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 07:13:56 PM »
The point about date codes is assuming that “all” had them may not be correct. In that thread, Bob references seeing 3 different styles which means they were not all stamped the same. .......................

If your referring to reply #3 it appears that Bob was not referring to anything to do with the date and only to the hole or lack of hole not the main stamping out of the base.  The hole punch could have been/likely done as part of a separate process on a separate machine.

A couple other things to consider, what would a 65 Hipo built in December 64 use for a base if the earliest date seen is 5A?

Well first though would be that we have not found examples all of the different stampings or that they were undated prior to the 5A stamping.

It also seems strange that a 66 batch would be stamped in January (A) and then a next batch in March (C) and why would that pattern repeat in 67? Seems strange and makes me wonder if A and C are even date codes?

The stamping pattern fits others on parts associated with air cleaners and in documenting unrestored cars line up pretty well with the cars production date in general. As for way they apparently stamped them - not sure - wasn't there and don't have anyone I can ask or who might remember this little detail. If you want to dig deeper figure out why (maybe their there just not discussed) why these stamps were only applied to these bases and not all air cleaner bases.   ???

...I’m going back to the grassy knoll now

Take a lunch and sun screen as well as hat  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 07:19:34 PM »
Seems strange and makes me wonder if A and C are even date codes? ...I’m going back to the grassy knoll now
In keeping with your grassy knoll scenario, how about this. The drawing the vendor received from Ford said "Stamp Date Code Here" and gave an example of "5A". So that's what the vendor did, stamped "5A" - until someone at Ford said - "woah". 
(In the previous thread -
I said no date code on my HP air cleaner. I found it today - Sober.)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
I said no date code on my HP air cleaner. I found it today - Sober.)
Jim

Some of the examples are stamped pretty deep so that something shows on both sides of the metal while others appear to be a much lighter stamping. Not sure why but don't understand all the machine going on's in details that it takes to make one of these.  Seem simple, stamp, cut ....  ::)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 08:12:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle