Author Topic: Filler Board hardware  (Read 1112 times)

Offline rrenz

Filler Board hardware
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:35:52 PM »
I recently purchased a set of Trunk Filler board hardware for my coupe. Car was missing the board and hardware. I had previously been using just a couple of standard sheet metal screws and washers. When I went to attach the new hardware I found that the Original holes were substantially smaller. Ill have to drill them out to use the new hardware. Does anyone have any insight? Is there different screws that may of been used? I have no reason to believe the the current holes in my trunk aren't original.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline jwc66k

Re: Filler Board hardware
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 12:14:01 AM »
A couple of questions:
- Do you have a set of 66 Mustang Assembly Manuals;
- Have you looked in the library section of this forum, specifically the Mustang Hardware Spreadsheets 64-66 and downloaded the one by application;
Did you see if AMK carries the items needed?
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 02:13:35 AM »
Well it sounds like you might have messed up your factory holes. May be able to hammer them back closed then start the correct ones, don't over tighten and hope .

You'll need two like this. Jims Hardware lists will provide the details ;)

Not going to find them at the hardware store. The hardware is a pane head Phillips screw with a fairly large captured washer. Unlike most pan head screws these have an edge created along the outer surface as you can see in the picture.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:12:17 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »
I do have the amk bolts. Reason I’m asking is because the new amk bolts are larger than the original holes. Meaning I would actually have to drill them out to make the holes larger to accommodate the new hardware.  Just wanted to see if anyone knew of any changes that may of occurred with those bolts during production.
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 04:16:15 PM »
Do you know if that section has been replaced? That new section would have no holes and a body shop would use what they had available to install the hardboard.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rrenz

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 05:57:31 PM »
Ive suspected something may of been done on that quarter panel due to an alignment issue with the taillight trim and rear extension piece. You may be on to something there. Ive done collision work for quite a long time and have never noticed anything that stood out so if thats the case they did a pretty good job. Probably the most likely cause for my issue. thanks
Ryan
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2004 40th Anniversary

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 09:00:16 AM »
It's usually pretty easy to detect panel replacement, especially on something like a trunk floor.  There are only a few restoration shops that may correctly spot weld panels in as original.  Everyone else does MIG plug welds and then tries to replicate the appearance of spot welds.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin