Author Topic: Battery cable routing......428cj, non air conditioner , Metuchen  (Read 1841 times)

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
Hi All,
I bought the heavier gauge autolite battery cables. The starter cable and negative battery cable routing are throwing me off. The neagtive battery cable also seems very long.

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Dave

~ Do it concours or don't do it.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Battery cable routing......428cj, non air conditioner , Metuchen
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:30:12 AM »
Hi All,
I bought the heavier gauge autolite battery cables. The starter cable and negative battery cable routing are throwing me off. The neagtive battery cable also seems very long.

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Are these supposed to be factory type cables since you refer to Autolite? The reason why I ask is that the factory wires only came one way .You didn't have a choice of heavier gauge battery cables.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
Yes, these are supposed to be factory style. I went with these because the original cables seemed to get very warm when starting.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/battery-cable-set-heavy-duty-uses-a-larger/168103?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3DBattery%252Bcables%26top_parent%3D1%26year%3D1969&year=1969
Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 01:43:38 PM »
Yes, these are supposed to be factory style. I went with these because the original cables seemed to get very warm when starting.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/battery-cable-set-heavy-duty-uses-a-larger/168103?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3DBattery%252Bcables%26top_parent%3D1%26year%3D1969&year=1969
When you mention Autolite it seemed to infer a factory original cable. I thought someone may have sold you some thicker cables and claimed that they were original. I have heard of that happening before. The factory similar looking cables you bought are a heavier gauge wire. That is certainly helpful for a big block. They should be able to run the same way as the OEM cable with the exception of maybe the starter cable where it runs through the gromett in the bracket attached to the motor mount. That might be a tight squeeze. The routing is in the assemblyline manual (not shop manual). From the negative terminal to back behind the holddown bracket down between the solenoid and the battery through the "D" clips and over to the block bolt same as alternator ground. The starter cable routes down off of the solenoid through the D clip and over to the bracket held at the motor mount then the route ends at the starter. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 05:27:56 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 03:21:44 PM »
Hi Bob,
Is there a link anywhere to the assemblyline manual?

Your last remark in your last reply.....is that for the starter cable? If so, in don’t understand the part where you mention the hold down bracket between the battery and solenoid. Maybe I. Missing something (a part)?

I believe I have the starter cable all set. It’s the long length of the negative battery cable. I’m pretty sure it was connected to the lower engine area.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave

Offline Raven R Code

• 428CJ ~ 4 spd ~ 3L50
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 03:41:31 PM »
Ok....may have it figured out. Is it wrong to land the negative battery cable on the same motor mount bolt that the starter cable bracket mounts to?

Also...have to dig out a few D-rings. Are they the same D-rings the go along the front side of the lower radiator cross member(for the headlight harness)?
Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 05:32:27 PM »
Ok....may have it figured out. Is it wrong to land the negative battery cable on the same motor mount bolt that the starter cable bracket mounts to?

Also...have to dig out a few D-rings. Are they the same D-rings the go along the front side of the lower radiator cross member(for the headlight harness)?
I was working too fast and left out a step. See the amended post . The negative cable is grounded to the engine block near the alternator there is a thread hole for the bolt . The alternator also is grounded there.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
Is there a link anywhere to the assemblyline manual?

The assembly manuals are copywrite protected and likely licensing would need to be considered, approved, paid for and agreed upon. Maybe one day Osborn will figure out a way to convert and get paid for access to them online

Here is a picture of an example and its routing from a top view. Lower views are difficult to photograph

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:21:31 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline sah62

• Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
They should be able to run the same way as the OEM cable with the exception of maybe the starter cable where it runs through the gromett in the bracket attached to the motor mount.

Maybe, but recent research has uncovered at least some 1970 428 CJs that secured the starter cable to the block above the pan rail using bolts with two J-straps and rubber grommets.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10416.msg113662#msg113662

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=25106.0
Scott Hollenbeck
Administrator, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry
Owner, Muscle Car Research LLC
1970 Calypso Coral R-Code Mach 1 (10/69 T)
2019 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD
2003 Mercury Marauder 300A
(more non-Ford stuff)

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »
' D ' rings.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
Maybe, but recent research has uncovered at least some 1970 428 CJs that secured the starter cable to the block above the pan rail using bolts with two J-straps and rubber grommets.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10416.msg113662#msg113662

https://www.428cobrajet.org/forum/index.php?topic=25106.0
Agree with your observations however assumed the OP maybe incorrectly that the car is a 69 . I felt it would confuse the situation with 1970 details .
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:59:24 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »
Yes because he didn't include the year I think we may have provided some information that was not on point as it could have been as it should have been asked or clarified in the first responses

Looking back I see the OP mentioned he had a March 69 built car so at least my posted picture is not on target
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 05:15:52 PM »
So since it appears the car in this discussion is a Spring 69 NJ CJ I offer the following pictures :)

Appears two D clips were typically used on the passenger side inner fender panel below the solenoid

Not exactly ;) just like fresh out of the factory any longer but some good clues

Still leaves you without pictures of the lower section so you may have to fall back on the generic (and what Ford wanted to be done) Assembly Manuals as a guide at this point

Jeff Speegle