Author Topic: 1968 black paint stripes (hood or side c-stripes?)  (Read 1091 times)

Offline don.piotrek

• 12/1/1967: a '68 Dearborn C-code coupe
1968 black paint stripes (hood or side c-stripes?)
« on: September 07, 2018, 06:51:58 AM »
Hi guys, I already asked this in the other thread I opened for my 1968 c-code coupe restoration, but received no answers.

The Marti report states the car was equipped with "Black paint stripes".
So are those just the C-shaped stripes on the sides of the body? Or the ones that go form hood turn signals/ vented hood to the cowl panel?

The Marti report doesn't say anything about the vented hood or hood turn signals. I researched that due to strikes and some shortages of the parts, the cars that were assembled in Dearborn in Nov/ Dec 1967 had those even though these were installed without listing in the Marti report.

Thanks

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1968 black paint stripes (hood or side c-stripes?)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 09:00:41 AM »
Our 68 HCS has white paint strips listed on the Marti report. They are a painted pen stripe. If you car had the hood stripes you door tag would have a 5 after the color letter. Such as T5. That option would have been listed on the Marti report as two tone paint option.
Hope this helps.
Marty

Offline don.piotrek

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 09:40:55 AM »
Wow Marty yours is beautiful.

Well mine doesn't have any letter following the Y color code - the Sunlit Gold. The google search for black paint stripes on a sunlit gold gives only side c-stripe and the hood stripes. Wasn't this single bar side stripe a HCS only feature?

The only colors matching picture I found with a stripe like you suggested is... a 1/24 scale model ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 09:58:24 AM »
Wow Marty yours is beautiful.

Well mine doesn't have any letter following the Y color code - the Sunlit Gold. The google search for black paint stripes on a sunlit gold gives only side c-stripe and the hood stripes. Wasn't this single bar side stripe a HCS only feature?

The only colors matching picture I found with a stripe like you suggested is... a 1/24 scale model ;)

Look again at Marty's HCS

There is a "white PINSTRIPE" along the upper body line, down only about a quarter of an inch, runs pretty much the whole length of the car. This is the "black stripe" spelled out on your Marti Report.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline don.piotrek

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 10:38:06 AM »
Now I can see after a strong zoom in the pic.

I am rather disappointed to see this would be all in the car. Do you have any technical details on how should it be painted? Was it matte or gloss? Was it a sticker or paint? What was the exact starting point and end point?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:11:32 AM »
Now I can see after a strong zoom in the pic.

I am rather disappointed to see this would be all in the car. Do you have any technical details on how should it be painted? Was it matte or gloss? Was it a sticker or paint? What was the exact starting point and end point?

There is at least one thread related to how this was applied (like about a year ago?) to a Mustang fastback, perhaps it was a 67? By looking at Marty's HCS, I see it differs some at the rear of the car. It may be best, if HCS & CS are different slightly, to further request any possible images of UNRESTORED examples. I cannot remember if Marty's red HCS was restored right now or if it does or does not reflect what is typical. I do know that on fastbacks (and Coupe/Convertibles), the stripe takes a downwards turn on the back of the car, down towards terminating just above the bumper.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 11:54:03 PM »
The HCS and GT/CS pin stripes ends differently most return down the quarter extension toward the bumper.  The pin stripe was a gloss paint.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:38:36 AM by carlite65 »