Author Topic: 1970 wiring harness  (Read 1314 times)

Offline oregon trail

1970 wiring harness
« on: March 09, 2018, 05:33:43 PM »
I'm restoring a Dearborn 12/69 Mach 1 with 351 Cleveland and need to replace the wiring harness. What is the best company for a correct harness?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 1970 wiring harness
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 06:05:43 PM »
Ford NOS.  No others are concours correct.
Alloy Metal makes a good functioning set of wiring harnesses, but they are on the expensive side.
There are some folks out there that refurbish used OEM harnesses for less money, but they usually don't cut the mustard for concours-level judging.  They will be fine for daily drivers, local cruise-ins and shows.

It all depends upon your objectives and size of your wallet.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
Around $750 for the Alloy under dash tach harness. Let me know if you need more help. You will be happy with it.

Coralsnake@hotmail.com

Offline DougDyar

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »
+1 on Alloy Metal harness. Side by side they're almost identical. Why mess around with 50 year old wiring?
0F02G203277
June 22, 1970 Dearborn BOSS 302

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:59:35 PM »
+2 on Alloy Metal harness.....

I've been buying/hoarding 70 Mustang parts and have never come across a 70 main wiring harness NOS, If your car has a Tach, you'd probably be competing with the Boss 429 crowd and that would make a VERY expensive harness....

John

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 06:30:52 PM »
So OregonTrail: what are you intentions for your car?  If you are going concours-level, I'd agree with the Alloy Metal with the exception of Thoroughbred levels.  If you're not going to be judged in concours, you can save several hundred dollars with going with a refurbished harness.  Some say 50 year old wiring is bad, but my experience (10 years, 600+ underdash harnesses refurbished), the wiring holds up exceptionally well.  Exceptions may be in the engine compartment (heat, oil, gas, etc.), and the tail-light harness (mostly the sockets and braiding).  Wiring and the insulation, holds up extremely well.   
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 07:00:04 PM »
Noticed after looking at a number of more recent restorations that it appears that on some applications Alloy is using/installing some retainer clips that are intergrated into the looms that are not like originals and do stand out if your looking at the car.  This is not a 70 specific thing but at least a heads up to look and compare your original and the reproduction that way, maybe you can correct these flaws before installation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline oregon trail

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 11:17:52 PM »
Great feedback. I'm trying to get as close to concours as I can. Contacted Alloy Metal products and talked to them, that's the direction I'm going. I will definitely compare with my original harness to make any changes if necessary. Thanks guys.

Chris

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 12:34:46 AM »
Alloy Metal Products is the manufacturer and does not sell their wiring retail. They only sell wholesale to vendors.