Author Topic: Early 65 Dearborn Interior - A couple of questions  (Read 997 times)

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

Early 65 Dearborn Interior - A couple of questions
« on: March 15, 2018, 04:05:02 PM »
First:

What are the thoughts on using these versus the original? If I am not doing a concours restoration am I fine using the amk kit? My thoughts were that there kits were suppose to be correct hardware?

Second:

Has anyone every come across this? Factory install on a day they welder was broken? They appear to be in every spot a factory spot weld is in the 66 car I am also working on. I will look closer at the car tomorrow to see how much it appears to have been messed with over the years but this is a first for me. It is a Dearborn car I can get the build date on it tomorrow, but I know it has the seat risers that have an open top that I have seen in a 64.5 Dearborn car. I guess a Third question would be how long did they use the open top seat risers and were they used only at certain plants?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:37:39 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: A couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
First:
What are the thoughts on using these versus the original? If I am not doing a concours restoration am I fine using the amk kit?

If a judge notices them you should expect a written comment and maybe a deduction if other things have issues also since they are not like originals

My thoughts were that there kits were suppose to be correct hardware?

Not really . They try and find hardware (availability has changed allot over the years) that will serve the same purpose, hopefully look like originals in shape and size, rarely (on bolts) match the same head or makers marks. Allot of these kits are sold to owners in rusty areas or those that just want a quick and easy way to get matching hardware - often for non-restored cars.

Second:

Has anyone every come across this? Factory install on a day they welder was broken? They appear to be in every spot a factory spot weld is in the 66 car I am also working on.

Doubt you meant to say it in exactly those words There are thousands of spot welds that hold together a car and I can't seen anything like that taking place at a plant.  If your just focusing on the dash area what stands out to me is all the deep scratches in both the dash pad support bracket and dash surface that would not typically be see on factory metal

There is allot of possibilities but the one picture doesn't include allot of clues to work from

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

Re: 65 Dearborn Interior - A couple of questions
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »
Correct I was just talking about the dash pad support spot welds.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 06:45:21 PM »
Considering the paint on the top of the dash I wonder if an owner in the past removed the dash pad and the supports as part of a modification. 

Were there other things done to the car to hot rod or customize it in the past?

Just a thought or possibility
Jeff Speegle

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »
What's the scheduled build date of the car?  The screws on the metal dash panel was an early production detail.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »
What are the thoughts on using these versus the original? If I am not doing a concours restoration am I fine using the amk kit? My thoughts were that there kits were suppose to be correct hardware?

Available as 353458-S13, AMK B-12128, $3 for 4, unless they discontinued the item. Yes you get 4, need 2, but then you can sell off the other 2.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
What's the scheduled build date of the car?  The screws on the metal dash panel was an early production detail.

Had not seen that. Thanks Charles
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 10:23:23 AM »
Man I love photobucket less than 24 hrs and the pictures don’t show anymore! Do you guys have a better recommended photo hosting site?

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 11:55:48 AM »

It's more like "Photosuckit"...nowadays since Photobucket killed their 3rd Party webhosting....Oh wait, You can still get it for $450.00 a year now.... Yeah right...

"Fuggetaboutit"...

:o)

Tony K.

Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
Man I love photobucket less than 24 hrs and the pictures don’t show anymore! Do you guys have a better recommended photo hosting site?

For pictures your going to post here why not upload them to your gallery here? In that way as long as the site is here the pictures and links will be here also.  There are other options out there that are no cost - currently  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »
Thanks Jeff never knew about the gallery.

And about the car with the screws in the dash the door tag is gone but it is a 64.5 with a sequential number of 104xxx and a April build date on engine, while the other 64.5 we are working on is spot welded has a sequential number of 189xxx and a build date of June on the engine. So not sure when they transitioned to welds if it is a really early production date thing.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »
Thanks Jeff never knew about the gallery.

Consider establishing sub directories from the start. May make things easier to find later and keeps things organized ;)

When did these changes take place?  Don't have allot of pictures of these early cars stripped down to their bones but can offer the following examples

The welded dash pad supports were in place by the time  5F08D11416x was built

The seat riser cut out on non convertibles continued at least through the following examples

5F07D15167x

5F07F17171x
Jeff Speegle

Offline 69SCJQ4.30

Re: Early 65 Dearborn Interior - A couple of questions
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 05:48:38 PM »
Yeah the 189xxx car has the cut out risers too.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »
It's more like "Photosuckit"...nowadays since Photobucket killed their 3rd Party webhosting....Oh wait, You can still get it for $450.00 a year now.... Yeah right...
Several years back, I was at a Bar-B-Q with a bunch of friends that were in the high-tech industry (right here in Silicon Valley). Someone brought up that the "free" part of the internet wasn't going to last, that advertisements would not pay for websites and that users would bear the costs. Now there's talk that an internet tax might be imposed. Tax = government interference and control. Be prepared.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.