Author Topic: 65 defrost plenum  (Read 557 times)

Offline lathamjr

65 defrost plenum
« on: March 08, 2018, 05:08:40 AM »
I saw the pics in Charles' blog and noticed the original defrost plenum. The one from my car currently being restored is original to the car, is intact, and actually in very good condition. I would like suggestions for cleaning it and helping to preserve it so it want be ruined by guessing.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 defrost plenum
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 11:05:29 AM »
I don't remember what, if anything I did to that one other than clean it.  Would have used something like a toothbrush or bristle brush with soft bristles to knock off any dust/dirt.  Some like to coat with matte finish clear coat to seal the surface.  This will usually make the surface turn a darker color though.  I don't think anyone would fault the 'shade' on an original, so long as it's a medium brown/gray, or slightly towards dark brown/gray.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »
Spray the plenum with Scotchguard waterproof spray inside and out. It absorbs quickly so it is "invisible". Naturally, the "waterproof" part is a bonus.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline lathamjr

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 05:39:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll give Charles' cleaning method a try and go for Scotchgard afterward. Mine will never be in the same league as Charles' work but it will be as correct as a low budget will get it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:48:00 PM by lathamjr »