Author Topic: shock tower caps  (Read 1801 times)

Offline specialfinds

shock tower caps
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:46:32 PM »
Helping somebody detail his 69 350 april car,this is an original paint car low miles.I noticed on the passenger side shock tower cap it has the welded washer type and the drivers side not.Now did these cars have the welded washer caps and if so do we detail it so the washer one is black and the other side phosphate will look weird lol or we find or make another one with washers.thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: shock tower caps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:51:59 AM »
Helping somebody detail his 69 350 april car,this is an original paint car low miles.I noticed on the passenger side shock tower cap it has the welded washer type and the drivers side not.Now did these cars have the welded washer caps and if so do we detail it so the washer one is black and the other side phosphate will look weird lol or we find or make another one with washers.thanks

A number of things come to mind right off the bat. Are the front shocks original would be the first one to ask.

In general we often see mistakes made at the factory or changes done by prior owners - its often hard to prove they are one or the other.

So IMHO I would suggest that you document what you found before you took the car apart and save the one non-washer support (too bad these are not dated to help us :(  and find another, weld a washer on, paint it and use it.

Good thing about this sort of detail is that you can change it back at any time with ease and if more support for it being original surfaces.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:58:31 AM »
At the very least it was a factory mistake to have one cap that wasn't reinforced. At the worst the original was misplaced or changed out by a PO. Ether way is not a good thing IMHO.  No history of many missing  reinforced upper shock brackets in 69/70 like there was on a few 66's and a larger number of 67 Shelby's to justify the happening. Most Shelby enthusiasts are unaware of any that were missing the upper reinforced caps. So you would have a tough time proving that point if entered in concours IMHO. At least to me for 69/70. If it were my car and I didn't have reasonable (maybe even if I did)  proof , I would have both caps with the reinforced washers like they were engineered to be. That is unless you want to try and glorify a part that makes the Shelby " less then" others around it.  Just my opinion. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline specialfinds

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »
Thanks guys (and yes it has the original shocks)