Author Topic: 67 Headlight adjustment change  (Read 2357 times)

Offline HomerJay

67 Headlight adjustment change
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:09:14 AM »
Hi folks,

i have to change the headlight adjustment screws and the spring who attaches to the headlight bowl with the Fender Extension Assembly.
The screws are totally unusable and they wont even move a little bit even by using WD40.

So i guess i have to remove the Fender Extension Assembly on both sides to change the adjustment parts.
Any idea how to do it and what i have to remove?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 06:27:19 AM by HomerJay »

Offline ruppstang

Re: 67 Headlight adjustment change
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 09:29:23 AM »
It is possible to change them with out removing the fender extensions. You have to use a short Philips screwdriver working through the headlight hole. It is not easy but I have done it. If not too much of your car is assembled yet I would pull off the fender extensions.
Good luck! 

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
I might try to also form a hex head on the adjuster screws that a person could then tap a socket onto. A breaker bar on a 1/4' drive socket and a little patience might break loose JUST the adjusting screw. My guess is that if the adjuster screw is corroded (Rusty) enough, those other screws will not be willing to move either. My assumption here is that you are not concerned as much with the hidden aspect of the older adjuster bases as much as the need to aim the headlights. As far as concours thinking, it would be easier, possibly simpler in the end result, to pull the extensions off. Problem there is my guess you woud be opening a new can of worms.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:37:56 AM »
It is possible to change them with out removing the fender extensions. You have to use a short Philips screwdriver working through the headlight hole. It is not easy but I have done it. If not too much of your car is assembled yet I would pull off the fender extensions.
Good luck!

Wow, that sounds to be very tight, but i can try it. The car is assembled completely.

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »
I might try to also form a hex head on the adjuster screws that a person could then tap a socket onto. A breaker bar on a 1/4' drive socket and a little patience might break loose JUST the adjusting screw. My guess is that if the adjuster screw is corroded (Rusty) enough, those other screws will not be willing to move either. My assumption here is that you are not concerned as much with the hidden aspect of the older adjuster bases as much as the need to aim the headlights. As far as concours thinking, it would be easier, possibly simpler in the end result, to pull the extensions off. Problem there is my guess you woud be opening a new can of worms.

Maybe it is possible to drill a small hole into the screw so that i attach a screw Extractor?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:48:34 PM »
If they are really stuck you might try a 1/4 drive ratchet with a 1/4 socket and a Philips tip in the socket to break them loose. Both adjusters and mount screws.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 06:20:16 PM »
The wires in the second photo do not look stock at all to me.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
No, the wires aren't stock. They where changed while the new halogen H4 lights were installed. Sealed beam lights are forbidden in Germany.

By the way: if i have to remove the fender extensions, what do  have to remove? Bumper? Fender? Grille?

Sorry, but I am just at the beginning to understand my new car.  ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 07:44:34 PM »
... if i have to remove the fender extensions, what do  have to remove? Bumper? Fender? Grille?

Sorry, but I am just at the beginning to understand my new car.  ;)

As I said, a can of worms because if your headlight adjusters are frozen from rust, I cannot imagine that every other fastener wouldn't be equally difficult. The fender extension (headlamp housings) are secured with studs and nuts in the nose of the fender. Those are not to hard to get at (Behind the front splash shields) The grille sets on top of these housings AND the center upper gravel shield does also. Again, rusty fasteners would make this quite a task especially on a car that may not need repainted. My guess is if you try and remove these headlamp extensions, you will regret the choice. Make every effort to get those screws out first. You might consider taking it to a repair shop as a better idea than going in for a FIRST time without knowing full well what you are getting into.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:48:10 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 07:57:20 PM »
OK, sounds pretty logical. The car was repainted few month ago, so the nuts of the front extensions shouldn't be rusty at all, cause they were installed just a few weeks ago. At this time the mechanics should have changed the headlight adjuster, but they didn't. As you said, I will try everything not to remove the extensions, but my question was just in case I have to.

First of all I ordered new springs. If i got them installed, I will let check the position of the light. Maybe it's correct and I do not have to change the adjuster at all...

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 08:14:43 PM »
Do the H4 bulbs fit the stock headlight adjusting cups?  I had heard that they won't fit without modification.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 01:51:26 AM »
Yes some ( mine ) do :) but most do not.

Offline HomerJay

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 06:57:14 AM »
Good news. After two days and lots of WD40 the screws started to turn. Even better news is that they weren't rusty at all. Did some pics from the inner fender extension with my mobile and there is no rust at all. It was "just" some dust and some paint dust.

:)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 07:04:10 AM by HomerJay »