Author Topic: 66 San Jose plant - Shock Tower Spring Cover color?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Morsel

66 San Jose plant - Shock Tower Spring Cover color?
« on: October 05, 2016, 06:41:03 PM »
Get ready to paint my outer apron shock tower spring covers and ran into a question about color. Normally I would just think it was the same color as the engine bay, but when I've talked with a few people about this, they keep saying they are painted differently than the engine bay and are actually a gloss black???

Is this true?
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 66 San Jose plant - Shock Tower Spring Cover color?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »
They were originally dipped in black paint and will have a more glossy appearance than the engine bay/inner fenders.  They are still semi-gloss though.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Online jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 07:27:58 PM »
Get ready to paint my outer apron shock tower spring covers and ran into a question about color. Normally I would just think it was the same color as the engine bay, but when I've talked with a few people about this, they keep saying they are painted differently than the engine bay and are actually a gloss black???
Is this true?
First, the "few people" you've talked to need an education in the process. Yes, the color is black, but it is painted at a different time and with a different process. Your engine bay is spray painted with a semi-gloss black - quickly. The "gloss" itself ranges from 20 to 40 percent gloss (more flat than gloss) and could go as high as 50 percent. The "shock tower covers" (the true name is "front suspension bumper bracket" - aka, upper A arm) is dip painted black, usually at the factory that makes it, and it too can vary in gloss. As a dip process, it comes out more glossy (Don't forget the normal drips and runs). The same dip processes are used on the front shock mounts, alternator brackets, fan, bumper brackets, upper and lower A arms and a few other items I can't recall at this time. The trick is to make the "gloss" different that the engine compartment. I dip some brackets, I spray others, and I don't hesitate to make them "different".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Morsel

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 09:25:59 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I pretty much thought they were dipped and that's what was giving them a different "glossier" appearance...
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior