Author Topic: 1967 289 gauge feed harness valve cover tab mounting  (Read 1340 times)

Offline gimpystoy

1967 289 gauge feed harness valve cover tab mounting
« on: August 07, 2016, 01:03:29 PM »
n a 67, Metuchen C code, 289. Does the tab on the harness mount on the middle or rear valve cover fastener ? The harness I have is in pretty good shape. Tape still intact. The only damage is the  brown   rubber connector cover is cracked.  I'm thinking of getting the NPD repro to  get the rubber cover. Does anyone make just the rubber cover?
TY
Joe
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 04:39:23 PM by J_Speegle »
67 C code Metuchen, May "67" build 289 C4

Offline 196667Bob

Re: 1967 289gauge feed harness vslve cover tab mounting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 02:54:50 PM »
Mine is an early (January 31) Dearborn car, but the tab is under the middle Valve Cover bolt.

The rubber "covers" (I assume you are talking about the 90 degree connectors), are not available separately (unless you are a harness builder) as they are molded to the wires. Also, I believe the end (or "ends", depending on which harness you have) were black and not brown. Possibly yours has faded ?

A word of caution in purchasing a repo harness; make sure that all end connectors, and colors of connectors are correct, and match you original. For example, on my '67, which is also a C Code, and without the in dash tach, it had the red connector at the firewall, and the push on spade connector for the oil pressure sending unit, as opposed to the 90 degree push on connector for the post type sending unit. NPD shows this correct harness for 289 with tach. They have also added "or with red connector at firewall". Just be sure that everything matches yours before purchasing.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 289 gauge feed harness valve cover tab mounting
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 04:59:20 PM »
n a 67, Metuchen C code, 289. Does the tab on the harness mount on the middle or rear valve cover fastener ?

The retainer for that loom is a flexible rubber covered metal tab that was originally attached to the middle and front top valve cover bolts on the drivers side as shown below
Note someone has been in the example with a blue rattle can "touching" things up  :(

The harness I have is in pretty good shape. Tape still intact. The only damage is the  brown   rubber connector cover is cracked.  I'm thinking of getting the NPD repro to  get the rubber cover. Does anyone make just the rubber cover?

No and its not worth IMHO trying to fish out the original wires, reconnecting the connectors to the wires and resealing it (making it look untouched)  unless you really really have to. Been there

Most of the time the engine end wires are stiff and brittle or have been repaired because of that at some point. Just my experience
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:02:54 PM »
Thank You Jeff :)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 09:25:56 PM »

No and its not worth IMHO trying to fish out the original wires, reconnecting the connectors to the wires and resealing it (making it look untouched)  unless you really really have to. Been there

Most of the time the engine end wires are stiff and brittle or have been repaired because of that at some point. Just my experience
+1.  Unless absolutely requested for a concours restoration, I will not refurbish an engine gauge feed harness.  Even then, I prefer not to, as they cannot be easily refurbished back to show condition.  Of all the original engine gauge feed harnesses that cross my workbench, maybe 5% pass a continuity test. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline gimpystoy

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 01:19:18 PM »
I'll "gamble" with my
survivor" harness, first. Then go with NPD repro.